Newbie Ponder

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ditto what @Lisak1 said! And best to go a step at a time.

And when you get your test kit, we can help you through putting those pieces together, as well.

You are NOT a bad person or a bad fish-mommy! We’ve all been where you are at some point. It’s a learning process!
thank you. I did go get the testing kit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi There, Newbie here in Portland OR.
Any comments would be welcomed. So...
I thought it would be easy to build a pond and give a few goldfish a happy life!

I basically extended my block wall retaining wall to create a 4ft by 5 ft, with a 2 ft depth = apprx 300 gals. rectangle that I put a liner into and filled up with the hose.

It is really pretty cool. BUT, I realize that my surface area is only 20 sq ft and my depth is 2 feet. I have just read that it should only be 1 foot deep. So I might have an anaerobic water situation at the bottom?!

I have a 680 gpm underwater pump which sits on a brick at the bottom and has a nice bell fountain, which I thought would take care of oxygenation needs. I have 7 3-5" goldfish and a floating plant. I thought this was a super great set up. It's been together for about a month.

Sadly, I lost two fish yesterday. :(View attachment 115300

The pond started to get really green and it was difficult to see the bottom. I dosed with "Pondsafe" algecide that stated it is safe for fish. I dosed for 200 gals, (to be safe). The temperature went up to 90 yesterday. The fish stayed in the "fish tower" (upside down 12" diameter jar placed just under surface) all day. I thought it was fun to see them, and they did not look distressed at all. But the behavior was weird.

By morning the two smallish ones were death swimming and the other larger ones are pretty listless and hanging at the bottom. AGH

So after reading all this, I have 3 questions:
1. Do you think it was an oxygen deficit that hurt my fish?
2. Is the pond too deep for the surface?
3. Do you think I can ad a air pump stone to add oxygen at the bottom to overcome the depth problem?.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Okay. First, wow! what a generous group! Thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice. It helps a lot!
So.
Went down to PETCO and got the API freshwater master kit....

Here's where I am:

1. pH is between 8 and 8.2
  2. Ammonia is under 0.25 ppm, I'd say halfway between 0.00 and 0.25
  3. Nitrite is 0
  4. Nitrate is 0

the rectangular block/liner pond dimensions are 5 by 4 by 2 deep which gives me close to 300 gallons. I have a water pump on a brick at the bottom that is moving 600 gals per hour up a bell fountain for aeration. I just ordered an air pump with two bubble stones to put at the bottom...waiting on that.
Do you wizened ponders have any suggestions? Oh by the way, the goldfish (5) seem to be a little better today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Liz. I totally agree with all the advice you received. The only chemical you should ever add to a pond is declor. If you want to cut down on ammonia and algae stop feeding until the pond has properly cycled. They will not starve. Also you are not the first person that ever lost fish when they first started. My first pond was about 10 years ago. I lost all my goldfish except one when I first started. I felt bad because he was so lonely and I did not add any more fish until all my readings were perfect. I still have that fish and it is a pretty as ever! Good luck!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can get zeolite for ammonia but stop feeding fish so they can clean their own home
100_4658.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Liz. I totally agree with all the advice you received. The only chemical you should ever add to a pond is declor. If you want to cut down on ammonia and algae stop feeding until the pond has properly cycled. They will not starve. Also you are not the first person that ever lost fish when they first started. My first pond was about 10 years ago. I lost all my goldfish except one when I first started. I felt bad because he was so lonely and I did not add any more fish until all my readings were perfect. I still have that fish and it is a pretty as ever! Good luck!
Thanks CometKeith! I want to keep these 5 for decades!
You can get zeolite for ammonia but stop feeding fish so they can clean their own home View attachment 115363
Thanks for the suggestion. I think my ammonia number is okay, and I obviously would love to see the nitr go up...I will quit feeding them and allow the green machine to do its thing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry about the fish you lost, but it really wasn't your fault if you didn't know better!
Most fish keepers (including myself) learn the hard way the dos and don't of keeping a healthy pond. you seem willing to follow this group's advises so it can only get better from here
Welcome to the forum! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome, sorry about your fish. I'm a new pond owner also, so I can say I'm still on that learning curve you mentioned, it will get better. Green water, can't see the fish, fish acting funny, all these things have happened to me. The bright side is, it gets better, and there is lots of helpful information, and advice here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry about the fish you lost, but it really wasn't your fault if you didn't know better!
Most fish keepers (including myself) learn the hard way the dos and don't of keeping a healthy pond. you seem willing to follow this group's advises so it can only get better from here
Welcome to the forum! :)
Thanks, yes! This is a great place to get help and sympathy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome, sorry about your fish. I'm a new pond owner also, so I can say I'm still on that learning curve you mentioned, it will get better. Green water, can't see the fish, fish acting funny, all these things have happened to me. The bright side is, it gets better, and there is lots of helpful information, and advice here.
This is such a nice place! Thanks for your warmth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Liz and welcome to the group. I think you are going to find "ponding" to be an addiction! I like your set up, it's a nice addition to your wall. You will find lot's of great advice and motivation on here. I live in Pdx also, am new to the forums, but not to ponds. I'll enjoy seeing posts from someone else in our area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi Liz and welcome to the group. I think you are going to find "ponding" to be an addiction! I like your set up, it's a nice addition to your wall. You will find lot's of great advice and motivation on here. I live in Pdx also, am new to the forums, but not to ponds. I'll enjoy seeing posts from someone else in our area.
Yay, you're in PDX... You know we'll have to do a meet-up as the kids say....ha

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Don’t worry about the algae! Leave it be. Part of the deal.

Ask a Question