Newbie to pond building seeks wise counsel

Reaction score
you could do a fillter like in the video below then hide it in a decritive barrel or somehting on the edge of the porch and drill a hole in the barrel and have a short pvc pice come out and go down a water fall from there

[ame]

Reaction score
oldmarine said:
Sugestion: Build the filtration system inside the garage up high enough so that the water gravity flows down to the top of your water fall. Looking at your arrangement, I can't think of any other way to set up an adequate filter that will meet the needs of your pond.

When I was pondering as to where I was going to place my pond, I came up with idea of putting my pond right up next to my garage on the other side of the yard for more direct sunlight. Then I realized I have a sewer line that runs right where I wanted the pond. So I settled on having where it is now.
That's a good idea, as the filtration system would automatically moderate the 'jetting' effect a pump might create. in other words, the water would flow as opposed to shoot. In another forum, it was suggested to me that putting a water feature close to the house might compromise the foundation. Would leaks be a concern? Other than that, it sure makes power & filtration a lot easier to hide.

janine9620 said:
Wow, I really wish you hadn't just poured that sidewalk.....If you could take out a two, three foot section, then bridge over with wood then you could open the area on the otherside of the walk way also, how great would that entry be, to walk over the fishies! Some canna in close to the garage...... I agree, the bigger the easier, I have two small ( 1-2")baby koi in a 20 gal in my sons room, can hardly keep it balanced, gonna send them out to the pond ang get small trops in there. I didn't notice where you were located, would tropicals be an option, or matbe just some goldfish. It can be done in that space, just not ideal for koi. You have to account for slope loss of volume, and no rock, that will take up volume too. 3X12x...24"(house)-36"(Drive) I would try, but no koi. I would shoot the water from the house towards the drive, with a BD there to skimmer/pump at the drive end, then back up to the house end, not a water fall, a PVC with holes going verticle and horizontal to flush the water downstream, that way you will get somewhat of a river effect and the fish can get some exercise. My ponds have always been too small and shallow for ideal situations, I'm just a hobbiest, enjoying my fish, please understand though......it's a daily chore, not weekly....daily.
Wow! i wish I had asked the question before I poured the concrete. Good idea :)
With what koikeepr said previously about front yard ponds with kids & lawsuits etc., I'm leaning more towards a pondless waterfall. I really wanted a cascade/pond setup, but I have to be realistic. But I can still dream:
frontporch-pond3.jpg

spangs said:
: you could do a fillter like in the video below then hide it in a decritive barrel or somehting on the edge of the porch and drill a hole in the barrel and have a short pvc pice come out and go down a water fall from there
That is a very cool idea. A full wine/whiskey barrel with the filtration inside would look rustic, would fit nicely into the current decorum and would implement oldmarine's suggestion about having the filtration above the falls and gravity feed the water. All I have to do is convince the better half that it will look good.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
you could always have that in your front .... and your dream pond round the back ...my pond is in my front garden but it is a worry being out there ... so im closing mine down in the spring, and putting all my fish in a raised pond i have been building in the back garden

Reaction score
Good for you Matak. Ponds really do not belong in front yards in most places of dense living. It's just not worth the headache of stuff that could possibly happen due to the fact that the pond is too exposed. I look forward to seeing your pondless feature.

...and perhaps a pond in the back some day.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Koikeeper made a good point about ponds in front yards. In the planning stages of my pond to be, I wanted my pond in the front yard for all to see and enjoy. Also my location options were better in the front yard with less obstructions like gas line, sewer line, and water line from the street.

There are several front yard ponds in the neighborhood that are visible from the street. Every so often some joker would decide it would be fun to throw or put soap in one of these ponds. Over years I have seen a pond here and a pond there here in the general area turn into a bubble bath. Knowing full well that much soap would kill any life in the pond, I decided the best place for a pond would be in my back yard just for that reason alone.

I would think that most people would prefer to have their pond in the back where they could enjoy it the most. It all has a lot to do with your over all landscape, and the options you have.

Matak, I still liked your original idea.

janine9620

janine
Reaction score
That was a nice draw up there :) I really agree with the others really, once you have any water feature you are so going to want one out back, where you can really sit and enjoy. It seems like in the front of the house you are going to alot of trouble, when ultimately you will want the real thing out back. Keep it small and simple out front, then get started on the dream :)

Reaction score
Well.

Just had a chat with my bride. She said, and I quote: "why compromise at the front? Build what you want at the back" Game on guys :)

So it seems we are going to go with low maintenance gardening in the front and it's dream time in the back. I can't wait. I think I may become a permanent fixture around here :) stroppy, oldmarine, koikeepr: You are right, "Ponds really do not belong in front yards" janine9620, thanks. I drew it on Corel Draw and enjoy doing comp. graphics. My next task is to draw my back yard to scale. I will have to dig out my water level so that I can include elevations into my sketch.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
o.k youve got the other half behind you now!! you can start buying and building equipment now, and enjoy some "off season" discounts.. get the shovels out clean 'em up and sharpen them. oil that wheel on the wheel barrel.etc.. time is gonna drag now...waiting for spring!

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
o.k youve got the other half behind you now!! you can start buying and building equipment now, and enjoy some "off season" discounts.. get the shovels out clean 'em up and sharpen them. oil that wheel on the wheel barrel.etc.. time is gonna drag now...waiting for spring!
:) exactly why i waited til now to start.
While on the subject, does this: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/fs-pond-pumps-t4564.html sound like a good deal? The price seems pretty good. It is with driving distance for me. I think that I will probably want 3 feet of head with about 2000 GPH of flow

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I could see some nice big round river rocks on the ground with a tall over flowing pot spilling down into the rocks , creating a nice sound when you come to the front door,
safe for family and friends...
ponds belong were you can protect them

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sounds to me like a water feature out front and a pond out back. You could still go under the side walk since you are not going deep.

Reaction score
How exciting!

You'll be much happier with something at the back, as it will be private, protected and can be as big as you want without the potential problems. Lovely!

We look forward to helping you build your dream pond.

Reaction score
Thank you all for your kind words and good advice. As soon as it stops snowing, I'm going to map out my back yard and maybe even get some elevations. I got two books for Christmas; Ortho's 'Waterfalls, Ponds, and Streams', and 'Complete Guide to Water Gardens' by Kathleen Fisher'. Some good reading for the winter. Also, I am wondering if these pumps & accesories are a good bargain: https://www.gardenpondforum.com/fs-pond-pumps-t4564.html

Reaction score
Ah! we got so excited for you we didn't answer your question!

Yes, if you're going with a submersible system, Laguna pumps and filters are very good. Long lasting and low on wattage consumption.

Ask a Question