Reaction score
Hi all!! I recently put in a small maybe 50 gallon pond with 3 shabunkins (sp?)

I have also bought 2 larger ponds that I plan to put in, in the near future.
I will be back asking lots of questions since I don't have a clue what I'm doing!!
Thank you in advance for future advice.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and ask away as we will be waiting to help . :cheerful:

Reaction score
Thank you. I posted but the response I received is less than welcoming that's for sure. Hope there's
More members like you and less like the gentleman that replied to my last post.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not sure but we are all friendly but sometimes there are not many of us on because it is supposed to be nice weather but all we have had is pouring down rain and it seems at least for me ,I can't get caught up .I am guessing you got preforms and colleen and a couple of others on here are from Canada so they can at least help you figure out how to winterize your new ponds .Hope you post pics of all your hard work .My first pond was a preformed ,but I made the mistake and got koi and the next spring I was digging for a liner pond .Live and learn .Koi get big fast ,plus babies :cheerful:

Attachments

• murphy pond pictures 001.jpg
    murphy pond pictures 001.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 213
Reaction score
Hi sissy, thank you. Yes we have been raining here lots as well. Hey are preformed but I don't plan on putting any koi in. I will also be brining the fish inside for the winter. Maybe one day I will get koi but I think they need a deeper pond than the preformed offer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep thats why I had to dig a pond and wish someone had told me .If you look at colleen ponds on here she is from Canada and she has big koi .She is the one that told me how well the grasses grow in ponds and how they clean the water .You can see the grasses in my first pic in my old waterfall before I rebuilt it this past spring .My pond is over 4 feet deep and koi are so darn fussy about water quality and they produce so much waste .The less you feed fish the better the water quality .I feed mine only 3 times a week .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well I was really dumb and had no clue and figure a fish was fish .Goldfish are easier and fantails are cut to ,I call them butt wigglers because they just wiggle there way around .One of my butt wigglers .
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54067]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54089]

Reaction score
Lol. After I have the larger ponds set up and ready I plan to add 3 gold fish to my three shubunkins. I think that's more than enough and I think they are all adorable :) can't wait till its done!!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What is nice about them is they are real slow swimmers and get very friendly and love to eat out of your hand .Since they grow slow and move slow they are fun to have and watch .CE on here has them also .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Shubunkins are really pretty easy to care for fish. I have a mix of shubbies and goldfish

Ask a Question