Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I second C-notes suggestion - although an extension cord is not ideal for a pump (and the longer they are, the less optimal they are) it is a DIY way to get electricity to your pond and add a pump, if that is your desire.

I will also add that I know several pond owners who have garden ponds with goldfish and no filtration, no pump, no moving water whatsoever. Ponds are all under 1000 gallon liner ponds with lots of plants. Their fish thrive, their water stays clear and all is well. They do not feed their fish, however, they just let them fend for themselves. Whether that matters or not I don't know - just thought I would give the complete picture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Newbie, Welcome to gpf. Goldfish produce waste but not as much as koi. Whoever told you goldfish ponds don't need filtration is a poor source of information about ponds and fish. You will need to decide what fish you want to keep in your pond first and then people here will be glad to give you suggestions about how to optimize the situation. Good luck with your pond!

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Hello Annette, my advice is to not feed the fish and add lilies and other plants. The pond will balance itself in time. Feeding fish adds nutrients to the pond which encourages algae growth.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I'm wondering if you might discover a power source nearby. It looks like someone built that beautiful fountain to be a working fountain.

Reaction score
Wow. So much has been posted since my last visit. Thank you all for the warm welcome and to all for throwing in your 2 cents. I've learned a lot.

Update on my pond. We were away for a week (a short few days after I added all the little goldfish.) When we returned I checked out the pond. Sweet! I saw many many goldfish swimming amongst the mosquito fish. Seems them only picked on (and killed) the small and weak. Looks like everyone is getting along just fine now. The goldfish are out and about doing their goldfish thing. I have done no feeding.

The water is pretty clear. The plant in there is growing like a weed. A friend is going to bring me a lily and suggested that I vacuum out some of the gunk at the bottom of the pond. I suspect that the bottom gunk is about 4 inches deep and a 2-4 year accumulation.

I've got green hairy crap growing on the inside edge of the pond. She said I could add an algae-side to kill it - that won't hurt the fish. Good idea? Bad idea?

Barley straw. Does that really help keep the algae down and clear the water?

I'll keep an eye on the gold fish, giving them away as they get bigger.

The mosquito fish have recently hatched a slew of babies. Anybody want any?

I suspect the pond is healthy (enough) without running water because of the irrigation system adding fresh water nearly every night. My fishies must think they live in a tropical rain forest.

I am exploring the feasibility of creating running water (the fountain). Any one have experience with solar powered pumps? That would be one way to get power pondside without running lines or sucking power.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
barley breaks down to be peroxide and barley can be messy .You can get sludge buster blocks but not sure how well they work .A net would help pick up the sludge but may also release the bad stuff in the sludge that would kill the fish .Thing with solar pumps they only work when the sun is out and plants give off oxygen but suck it up at night and that will deprive your fish of much needed oxygen

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sounds like you are taking things slow & easy -- there's plenty of time to learn as you go. Wishing you continued good luck!

Reaction score
It's now October and time for an update. The goldfish are getting fat and happy. Size range is 2.5-3.5 inches. There are about 16 of them - hard to count. I started feeding them occasionally, mostly just for fun and only then a tablespoon of feed. I have to dispense it incrementally if I want the goldfish to get any. The mosquito fish are initially voracious but seem to get bored, then some feed gets down to where the goldfish can get it. The goldfish used to stay deep, they are getting bolder with time (and size?) and coming up higher and higher to get at the feed.

Every few weeks or so I pull out some of the plant that threatens to overwhelm the pond. The goldfish hang out in the clear area quite a bit. I am careful to minimize the stirring up on the bottom when I pull plant material and if I pull really slowly, I get a lovely bunch of bottom guck. I'm thinking, with time this will help to clear the bottom.

I have added enzyme tablets occasionally to keep the bottom guck healthy and doing its thing.

A friend gave me some lilies, hyacinths and some green lacey stuff that floats on the surface.

I get about 4 weeks out of each algaeside treatment - I only add it when I see the algae starting to green up on the sides. A 1/2 to 3/4 dose seems to do the trick.

The pond is just over 2000 gallons. I think it's in good shape because it's a balanced natural eco-system. It's got a massive amount of plant material, a good bottom layer where natural enzymes and bacteria compost crap and debris, and it gets an inch or two of fresh unchlorinated well water daily.

I think I'll need to give away some goldfish as they get bigger. How many do you think is reasonable in 2000 gallons?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like things are working out great.

Ask a Question