Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm Flor from the UK and have a garden pond with regular goldfish frogs and plants.
I'm about to change jobs which requires a move of 3.5 hours journey. Would using cool boxes work and for how many fish? 12 years ago I brought them here (a 2 hour drive) in lidded 75l plastic boxes, but I'm not strong enough to lift that now. (Having carry handles on cool boxes would make moving them easier.)

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, Flor. Coolers or Styrofoam boxes would work, how many per depends on the size of the fish. No feeding at least a few days before, shallow water in the container, enough to keep the fish covered = more oxygen in the water.

Some similar threads for tips:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcomeflowers900.gif
@flor62

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A and 7B
Country
United States
Years ago I moved my goldfish population seventy miles ... I think I used one Rubbermaid trashcan. They survived the move only to be picked off one by one by raccoons. That was a sorrowful lesson ...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
go to your local fish store tell them how big the fish are and get bags for them double bag each one and make sure the bags are pointing across the car and not front to back . 3.5 hours the fish will be fine just try your best to trap as much air in the bag just like the store does

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Goldfish have survived for years in bowls w/o filters etc. I think they can take a trip for quite a time as long as not too many in one container. I would say any kind of container w/holes in the top would work.

Ask a Question