pemba

Pemba
Reaction score
Hi

I inherited a pond from ex when he moved out about a year ago and I took the house on. Its 5ft at the deepest end. It has 3 koi, 2 tench, 3 shubunkins (spelling) and lots of babies which im not sure what they are yet, they are different sizes too. I have a green to clean filter which I have just put new filters in and I changed the bulb at the end of last summer. Ususally the pond starts to clear by now but it is still very green . i am a complete novice at this and have learnt as I go along. Im not sure if the fish are thriving by luck or if I am doing something right lol. Any advice about the green pond would be great.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif
Glad you joined pemba

Get a liquid test kit and see what your water readings are. That will help us a lot in helping you figure this out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and addy is right test and do you have anything that could have been blown or washed into the pond .Leaves or fertilizer can cause havoc on a pond .

pemba

Pemba
Reaction score
Hi

Thanks, I do have some test kits, will have to see how to use them, they have been in the cupboad for a while though. I do know a bird feeder blew in there last year, I have tried to get it out without success, will have to try again !

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome8881.gif
pemba
If you have a U.V light in that filter thingy maybe it is worn out and you need a new bulb? I hear they wear out sometimes in a year or so. I don't have one myself so can't help much on the subject. You can also take a plastic laundry basket or something similar w/ holes in it and put some of that white pillow batting and put it in the basket and then stick the basket under your falls or run a tube from your pump over it and that will help clean up your pond of all the small particles of algae and gunk. You will have to rinse the batting often and then stick it back in again over and over till you get the pond as clear as you like it. It works darn good tho!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If there was seed in it some of them could be growing or worse rotting at the bottom of your pond and they could become toxic after awhile .

Ask a Question