Newby after some advice

Reaction score
Hello all you pondy types...
I'm new to the hobby, I have kept a marine aquarium for about 5 years now, but thats the extent of my aquatic hobby experience!
It's taken me about a year and a half to get my pond to this stage, so I didn't rush into it!
My pond is right around the 10,000 gal mark, 28ft x 18 x about 4 ft max depth. I've had water in it for just about 5 weeks now, I have a 150 gal home made skippy type filter, flowing between 6500 and 7000 gal/hr. Its got a skimmer at one end and a waterfall at the other. I fitted today an ionizer for algy control.
Currently I have about 20 small goldfish (max 3") and 2 small koi (3 1/2 - 4")
I'm after a bit of advice, my fish (which have been in the pond for about 4 weeksish) do not appear to be eating, I attempt to feed them with 'Tetra pond' but I have not yet seen a fish actually eat any. Is this normal? Should I worry?
My water conditions are:
Ammonia - 0
PH High range - 8.2
PH 7.6
I have not yet registered any Ammonia, does this mean my filter cycle has not yet happened? I did add the new filter bacteria accelerator as advised when I first put water in.
Any ideas/advice would be gratefully received!
Please accept my apologies if this subject has been discussed here before....
Thanks in advance...
Regards

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I added fish to our pond, they did not eat or even come out form hiding for a long time. They will eat when they are hungry.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and yep scared of you for awhile but once you start feeding in one spot the koi will come to you first .Koi love fruit like watermellon .

Reaction score
Fish are sill probably nervous. They will soon come up when they are hungry. Patience my friend :)

Ask a Question