No turning back now

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The hole is dug. Well, it's roughly dug. 10x14 or so oval going to the deepest depth of 3' below intended water level. Next is my part with a shovel to put in shelves and a less boring shape to get to the final 11x16 or so design.

IMG_0040.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol I used a kubota backhoe and bucket, no way in this life time I could have dug mine by shovel. We can't even put in plants without using the back hoe, if they need anything deeper than a small shovel depth.

Love my tractor!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
dug mine also 4 times total for me sucker for punishment .But one thing I would suggest since I see wooded area to make sure you have no predators and also make sure it is safe from neighborhood children drowning .The shelves may have to be shelved if you have predators .There may be an insurance issue or zoning issue with safety .I know here if you live in the city limits it must be fenced in .They treat it like a pool here .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh h3ll,you used a bobcat! I dug mine with one shovel.
I hired a guy with the bobcat. My soil is clay and there were roots of a tree (up to 3") that were in the area. It took him 3.5 hours to excavate it. It would have taken me 40 hours of labor, I'm guessing. So a month of chipping away at it.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good decision! 40 hrs is what it took me roughly. I couldn't have used heavy equipment if I wanted to as I built inside a 5 ft chain link fence..

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It took me one plus months of digging almost everyday with the tractor to get our hole made. We have nothing but shale and rocks inches below the surface.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had shale and red clay ,The top 12 was a little easier since it was back fill .The other 3 feet was my worst nightmare come true

Ask a Question