noob in need.

Reaction score
forgottenalarm said:
I looked for 2 hours. :lol: ebay, craigslist, all the sites listed in the forums.

I think it went up with the gass prices.

If worse comes to worse, im going to do a 5 x 7 above ground on a concrete slap in my back yard. i would rather not though.

i woke up in a better mindset- Rather pay more (since my tax money is in) and do it right then to have a leaky pond next summer.

i still dont think that's a good price, you should consider waiting because you could probabley get that for way less and use that other money towards other things like a pump...and even with the gas prices it shgouldn't have effected the price, i suggest you keep looking, tyry out pond liner usa...i have heard good prices

Reaction score
tried them too. the liners are arouind 140, 60-80 for shipping. but i ame getting a good underlayement the same size, with it. the ground here is full of roots and rocks and hard clay that almost demansds it..thats where the money went.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats not really to bad a price when it is the liner and under liner and free shipping is good

Reaction score
I learned a little more about the filters yesterday and was able to get my hands on some abused irrigation tubing (thanks to a landscaping group that wasn't careful with their shovels) i cut up almost 20 feet of it last night and have another 20 to go. im still debating on what to use for the mechanical side.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
with that size pond you are going to need a big pump ,look at energy cost to run which ever one you might think of using and also the warranty and if they have an extended warranty you can buy .Better safe than sorry ,things always go out the day after your original warranty expires .Remember that if you are going to have a waterfall that and the distance from your pump to the filter and waterfall eats up pressure from the pump .I wish some one had told me that because 1 pump I bought was not strong enough

Reaction score
I bought a 3600 gph tetra pump at lowes. it runs at 270 watts. if it fails within the first year i will exchange it threw them. other then that it has a 3 year warranty. If i can get a 190 dollar pump to last me at least 4 years, i will be happy. Beats 3-400 dollars from a fish/pond store.

Im just going to have a gravity fed pump from the filter.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hate to tell you koi destroy plants bad and kill frogs and you have the unpleasant task of scooping dead frog bodies out of the pond before they really cause problems with your water and my aggie after 6 years is now around 2 feet long .Good price for it but remember for every foot of pipe from hose to pump you will loose some of that pressure .

Reaction score
k. thanks for the info. after i get it dug out and the pump/filter going i will figure out plants. i might get some milk crates and put the plants in them on a shelf near the surface to keep them off of them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry tried that they just root through them and make a complete mess of the pond .I am trying these plant basket things I got at lowes clearance out last year that are mesh and going to try fishing wire to pull them closed a little and see if that works .Leaving them open just enough for plants to grow up through

Attachments

• trees plant bags 005.jpg
    trees plant bags 005.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 230

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it should work and you can bring the screening up over the top a little and still tie it closer together with fishing line .I got those clearance out for 99 cents so figure I would give it a try . They are bigger than I thought once I opened them up .

Reaction score
forgottenalarm said:
I bought a 3600 gph tetra pump at lowes. it runs at 270 watts. if it fails within the first year i will exchange it threw them. other then that it has a 3 year warranty. If i can get a 190 dollar pump to last me at least 4 years, i will be happy. Beats 3-400 dollars from a fish/pond store

270W is almost twice as much as a comparable "real" pond pump would consume. Most of those are around 150W. Not sure what you pay for electricity where you live, but lets say it costs $0.1 per Kwh. If my math isnt off, that extra 120W each hour costs you about $100 per year. Or $400 in 4 years.

Not too mention, they are cheaper too. I got this one:
http://www.koisuppliesdirect.co.uk/....html?osCsid=336cd95c02424d896dfc7381e4c9ca52

155W for similar capacity and only 95 pound. Do the math in dollar. It also has 3 year warranty.

Reaction score
vertigo72 said:
270W is almost twice as much as a comparable "real" pond pump would consume. Most of those are around 150W. Not sure what you pay for electricity where you live, but lets say it costs $0.1 per Kwh. If my math isnt off, that extra 120W each hour costs you about $100 per year. Or $400 in 4 years.

Not too mention, they are cheaper too. I got this one:
http://www.koisuppliesdirect.co.uk/....html?osCsid=336cd95c02424d896dfc7381e4c9ca52

155W for similar capacity and only 95 pound. Do the math in dollar. It also has 3 year warranty.

my math is different then yours.

http://www.absolute-koi.com/prod1440.html

11,300 max lph, is 2985 gallons. mines 3600 gallons.
155 watts at 220-240 volts, 270 watts at 120 volts.
at higher voltages you need less amps and watts, the lower the voltage- the higher amps and watts you need to make things work.
so wattage wise i think we are close.

to sum it up 95 euro equalls about 140 us dollars.
my pump was 190 usd converted to 128 euro,
would you pay 33 more euro for 2,327.48 Lph more at about the same watts?

Reaction score
forgottenalarm said:
my math is different then yours.

http://www.absolute-koi.com/prod1440.html

11,300 max lph, is 2985 gallons. mines 3600 gallons.
155 watts at 220-240 volts, 270 watts at 120 volts.
at higher voltages you need less amps and watts, the lower the voltage- the higher amps and watts you need to make things work.
so wattage wise i think we are close.

to sum it up 95 euro equalls about 140 us dollars.
my pump was 190 usd converted to 128 euro,
would you pay 33 more euro for 2,327.48 Lph more at about the same watts?

A watt is a watt, no matter the voltage. You pay for watts. A kWH is 1000 watts for 1 hour, no matter if its delivered at 220V or 110V. Lower voltage will just increase amperage.

As for the capacity, I guess yours is somewhere between the superfish 12000 and 15000, but even the 15000 only uses 210W, and thats for 15200 liters or 4015 gallon. And it costs $181 (converted from pound, and including sales tax which you probably dont have). IOW, your pump is both more expensive, has lower trhoughput (didnt check pump head yet) and consumes more power, but granted, the difference isnt earthshattering and those superfish pumps are suspiciously cheap (which is why I got them :( ).

Ask a Question