Noobie Here - An I'm Lost

Reaction score
Ok, I just did my introduction, now on to my questions.

1. Three weeks ago I drained the pond, removed everything, power washed, refilled and repotted plants. All of the surfaces are now beginning to get algae cover but the water itself is clear. Is this normal?

2. Just under 2 weeks ago we added 4 goldfish. They seem to be doing ok but whenever they see us the run for cover. We feed them once a day but never see if they are eating. Is there any way to get the to warm up to us?

The pond is 500 gal, with a Alpine Hurricane 2100 pump and a Pondmate L30W gravity filter at the top of the water fall. The filter has 2-15 watt UV bulbs, but I don't know if they are any good. The filter was left by the previous owner.

BTW, if anyone is interested, I found a place to get replacement 15W UV bulbs for under $9, instead of the $25 or more that most places charge.

Reaction score
MOPonder said:
Ok, I just did my introduction, now on to my questions.

1. Three weeks ago I drained the pond, removed everything, power washed, refilled and repotted plants. All of the surfaces are now beginning to get algae cover but the water itself is clear. Is this normal?

Try avoiding emptying the pond completely. It does get rid of the dirt, but also of all micro organisms that are crucial to maintain your pond's balance. Perhaps you can try adding some bacteria in a bottle to help kickstart the process.
2. Just under 2 weeks ago we added 4 goldfish. They seem to be doing ok but whenever they see us the run for cover. We feed them once a day but never see if they are eating. Is there any way to get the to warm up to us?

Read bedtime stories to them ? :)
The pond is 500 gal, with a Alpine Hurricane 2100 pump and a Pondmate L30W gravity filter at the top of the water fall. The filter has 2-15 watt UV bulbs, but I don't know if they are any good. The filter was left by the previous owner.

Dont know either, but I hope you didnt clean the filter too thoroughly, because if you did, you killed the filter. More precisely all the bacteria in the filter, and thats what the filter is for primarily. If you did clean it out thoroughly, especially if you used tap water, apply fresh bacteria there. And next time, do no more than gently rinse the filter media with pond water. Dont overdo it, filters arent supposed to look clean.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You are best not to power wash, you are then starting with a new pond that will need to do the new pond cycle. Algae on the side walls is normal and good. Free fish food.

Agree with vertigo, don't over wash your filter, just rinse out accumulated junk, the filters grow good bacteria helping the pond balance out.

Watch you water, make sure you test it, since it is now "new" water. You may get algae blooms as it cycles.

If the fish are not eating I would stop feeding or feed very little, you don't want the uneaten food to accumulate in the pond. Mine still don't show their little fins. It takes time for them to get used to new surroundings. They see you as a big predator.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses.

One reason I completely drained the pond is because the water was so murky, I coudl not tell what was in there. I believe the pond had beed neglected for a couple of seasons. In 09, the owners husband passed away and in '10, she moved to Florida, so no one took care of the pond.

I did not clean the filter. It was sitting in the garage when we moved in. I did try to clean the scale from the UV lamps.

Is testing the water something I can do myself?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes buy a test kit, easy to do, they sale them on line or at fish stores. Helps keep your pond healthy

Reaction score
Just googled on your pump and filter. The pump seems to be a decent 2100 gallon/hr pond pump. More than sufficient for a 500 gallon pond. If anything, its way overkill, but that doesnt hurt.

The filter I think is a Fish Mate L30W? Cant find much about, except its rated for 4000 gallon ponds. Take those numbers with a truckload of salt (or rather, divide by 2-5x depending on amount of fish), but again it seems oversized if anything.

Are you sure about the 500 gallon pond volume?

As for measuring water parameters, sure you can. All you need is a test set, you can buy them cheap in any pond shop. Ph, GH and KH are your basic parameters, but if you plan on keeping fish get a set that measures nitrates, nitrite and ammonium as well.

Mind you, none of that will truly help a lot getting rid of algae. In a new pond its not uncommon and nothing to be concerned about as long as it doesnt get out of hand.

Reaction score
I'm sure on the pond capacity. I read the water meter just before and right after re-filling the pond, and it showed 500gal, dead on.

You are correct about the filter being a Fish Mate L30W. I don't think it is made anymore. Along with the filter, the previous owner left a foam pre-filter and a bag of small lava rock with some sort of white covering, which I assume to be bio-media. I can upload a photo if necessary.

I'm thinking the fish may not be eating much due to water temperature. We have had an unusual spring with wild temperature fluctuations. I'm working on posting the pond temps. Hope to have a link soon.

Reaction score
MOPonder said:
I'm sure on the pond capacity. I read the water meter just before and right after re-filling the pond, and it showed 500gal, dead on.

You are correct about the filter being a Fish Mate L30W. I don't think it is made anymore. Along with the filter, the previous owner left a foam pre-filter and a bag of small lava rock with some sort of white covering, which I assume to be bio-media. I can upload a photo if necessary.

Some pics might help yes. Whats currently in the filter?

I'm thinking the fish may not be eating much due to water temperature. We have had an unusual spring with wild temperature fluctuations. I'm working on posting the pond temps. Hope to have a link soon.

Cool you can log your temps :). Now log your Ph and ammonium levels :bouncycig:
I doubt the fluctuation explains the non eating. Im seeing quite similar fluctuations currently as my pond is only 1/3 full and due to its form now has quite a large surface but on average, is very shallow. Anyway, my Koi and goldfish still happily eat when the temperature is higher in the afternoon.

Not sure how susceptible gold fish are to stress, but more likely is that your fish are stressed. Either due to a waterquality problem (get it tested) or the water change or both. Or perhaps they have plenty of food from the algae.

Reaction score
At my workplace we design remote monitoring systems that allow us to monitor functions via the internet. Right now we have temperature, humidity, light level, contact sensor. We are working on other functions and pH is among them. I don't know how we would monitor ammonia level electronically (at a reasonable price).

I'll send the link if interested.

Reaction score
I'm a geek, therefore I monitor everything.

Here are a couple of photos of my filter. The black foam is course and the green foam is a bit finer. Both foam pieces fit on top of the gravel tray. There are 3 of these gravel trays.

The water comes in and passes under the UV light, then down through the course, then fine foam, then through the 3 gravels trays, then back to the pond via the waterfall.

Attachments

• Filter1.jpg
    Filter1.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 271
  • Filter2.jpg
    Filter2.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 270

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing I am geeky also, love gadgets, will check your link.

Ask a Question