Not sure how to make this stream join the pond [call me "stream-challenged"...]

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So you need something to cover the opening, that you can put a pipe through, and secure to the sides. How big is the opening and what is the rest of the bog made out of? In other words, what would you be securing the wood or cement board to?
Also how deep is it from the bottom of the weir cut out to the bottom of the bog? You have some depth there for gravel since the water will drain to the lowest point in your exit pipe. (I'm sure you do I just am asking all the questions I didn't think of when I first did my build, lol)

Gonna answer in the new thread......

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A) and B) are "rain drain" systems and as such, are not flexible. The drain option I posted is your best bet, in my opinion.

As to the bulkhead question, if your pipe is coming out of an existing "wall" that contains your turtle spot, the simplest means would be simply to drill through the existing substrate, cut the liner and thread the bulkhead fitting through. If you're set on using a separate substrate for the bulkhead (other than what's there already), cement board is made to accept plumbing fittings, so torque isn't an issue. I'd just coat the edges of the cement board that will contact the liner with marine-grade adhesive (look in the boating section of your local store), and then screw it to your substrate (galvanized, or coated screws). If you want to change it later, no big deal. simply remove it and patch the hole with an EPDM patch and Firestone 5877 adhesive (made for this purpose). Cutting a hole in a liner isn't a big deal, they're easy to patch and if properly done, a patch will last as long as the liner itself.

When patching (with either a manufactured patch) or with a piece of existing liner, scrub down the area to be patched, clean it with rubbing alcohol (it cleans it up and leaves the surface completely dry once it's evaporated), spray both the liner and the patch with the Firestone liner adhesive and stick them together. Use a roller to ensure that the edges adhere. For added measure, spray the perimeter of the patch with the adhesive. Allow about 30 minutes for set-up. Turn the can upside-down and give it a 1-2 second spray to ensure that the nozzle doesn't get clogged with dried adhesive.

Before you start anything, go get yourself a bulkhead fitting. They're only a couple of buck and once you've got it in your hands, you'll have a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Lay out all your materials, have a gin & tonic, think, have another gin & tonic, work.

Gotta go, installing a skimmer system today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well, there is something else that the boy turtles do in the water, but I won't go into detail -- you can look it up, it's called "fanning." Mine only seem to do this in the water, but don't know about other turtle species.
Jup know all about that Maggie from when we kept sliders , I also know what the females can ddo if they catch them doing it :eeK;

Dace

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Jup know all about that Maggie from when we kept sliders , I also know what the females can ddo if they catch them doing it :eeK;

Dace
Well, I don't know about the female turtles, but I can guess...... As far as a turtle thinks, if it moves, it's probably food.....!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I don't know about the female turtles, but I can guess...... As far as a turtle thinks, if it moves, it's probably food.....!
yes you got it and for a while he goes one way in total panic , she the other then the blood but the male normally survives he brush with her , he then forgets after a while and does it all over again silly boy

Dave

Ask a Question