Oddly, new to goldfish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
When I was a kid (yes there were cars back then) you started the hobby with a goldfish. Never had that luxury. I had pet crayfish in a pond I built in my wagon. I don’t think they appreciated the whole mobile pond idea....I digress.
As some know, I am in the middle of a pondbuild. Nothing fancy. Above ground 550. A friend who keeps a retail pond here offered me some fish as she knew I was building. 7 fancy tails from 3 to 5” plus tail. Nice assortment. These were in their wintering tub. I quickly set up a larger tub on my porch with good filtration, cover (water lettuce and hyacinth), some hogwort and brought them home. With 1/3 water changes every other day, they seem very happy in there temporary home. I have them eating out of my hand. They have been there 3 weeks. Weirdly my parameters say the tub is cycled?! Go figure. What I am wondering ,is there anything to watch out for specific to these fish that I don’t already deal with concerning other species? I have no plans to increase population nor for them to have tank mates. Just the magnificent 7. Advice very much appreciated. Can’t wait to get them in their new summer home! As far as experience I have 10 tanks in operation plus Q and stock tanks. Guppies (still my fave), plecos, corys, Bettas, my King Betta, Jack Dempsey (next to my bulldogs he and I are pretty close), jade shrimp, and some of the biggest Mysteries I have ever raised. I used to have a large cat tank for years but could not move it when I moved to the country. Again any advice on these critters for me would be great.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I used to have indoor tanks before building the pond, I was hooked on Cichlids, but I also had a 90g with different fancy goldfish. Now I have 2 Shubunkins in my koi pond, I treat all the fish the same, making sure I keep the water in good quality and I feed them healthy food...I think with your experience, your babies are in good hands!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Hahahahahaha! Your plans and theirs just may not mesh up... just sayin'!
Oh no! No unauthorized hanky panky in my pond. Not on my watch. Not in my backyard! I plan on having a talk. Just waiting for that non-awkward moment. Lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh no! No unauthorized hanky panky in my pond. Not on my watch. Not in my backyard! I plan on having a talk. Just waiting for that non-awkward moment. Lol

LMFAO

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Winter sucks. I hated seeing my fish at the bottom pond of the pond so cold. Like everything else their is a learning curve. But their is plenty of good advise here. Like Gemma said you got this dude.(y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Winter sucks. I hated seeing my fish at the bottom pond of the pond so cold. Like everything else their is a learning curve. But their is plenty of good advise here. Like Gemma said you got this dude.(y)
Funny thing is I have a couple of months to relax after they’ve moved in and I have to start the spooky basement pond project which I’m excited about. Otherwise it’s goldycicles for everyone on me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Funny thing is I have a couple of months to relax after they’ve moved in and I have to start the spooky basement pond project which I’m excited about. Otherwise it’s goldycicles for everyone on me.
"When I was a kid (yes there were cars back then) you started the hobby with a goldfish."
I seem to remember some of them new fangled automobiles being around when I had my first fish tank as well;)

A basement pond is not an option for me, no room. I plan on covering the pond at least partially this year. I will run my bog and a bubbler system. The fish should be fine, they are tough little guys and gals.

You will have to take pictures of your basement pond build as well. I know Minnesota can get pretty cold. I am sure your fish will appreciate being in a warm basement. That would give you the ability to winter your plants as well. Are you thinking of doing that?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Absolutely plants and all. I’ve got a pretty good start on lighting down there already. Because of where I live, full basements are a rarity. I have a litte over 5’6” height down there. How does 3 weeks never above -15 grab ya? More than 4 spells of -30 for days in a row. Lowest was -45 last winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Absolutely plants and all. I’ve got a pretty good start on lighting down there already. Because of where I live, full basements are a rarity. I have a litte over 5’6” height down there. How does 3 weeks never above -15 grab ya? More than 4 spells of -30 for days in a row. Lowest was -45 last winter.
cold.jpg

Ask a Question