Oh, the tangled lily pads -- I would love to see a time-lapse video....

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would just love to see a time-lapse video, from under water, following the twisting and tangling progression of lily pads!:snaphappy: HOW in the world do they do it?:bored:

And yet, from the surface, they are pure and simple, uncomplicated beauty!:love:

The other day I had an accident as I was pulling on an air-line tubing that had caught on one of the lilies. I didn't tug too hard, but just hard enough for the lily, the pot, and the crate to tumble over -- in slow motion, no less!:facepalm: When I put it all back together, I tried [almost in vain] to untangle and arrange the pads. I could have left them as they were, but by this time the pads and stems were knitted into an unrecognizable "tube" of green things, so I had to do something......

Are there pond nymphs that come out at night, delicately and lovingly weaving them for us, evidence of the mystery of nature's beauty........?:angelic:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The worst part is when trying to remove a dead one and trying to follow the stem all the way to the base. Sure do love em though!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I never use cutters, just grab the stem, run my fingers down and pinch it off. The flower stems need to be cut off and on they are tough. Easy to spot though they are curly when done blooming.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've often wondered about the same thing! Is there a reason why they are so tangled? Maybe it makes them stronger. But I spend many (peaceful, happy) hours in the pond trying to untangle those things!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've often wondered about the same thing! Is there a reason why they are so tangled? Maybe it makes them stronger. But I spend many (peaceful, happy) hours in the pond trying to untangle those things!
It can be therapeutic....

Actually, my theory is that as the new shoots are growing, they are influenced by currents, etc, so they aren't growing in a straight line. This causes them to "weave" between the other stems. But I'd still like to see a time-lapse video. It would be cool.

Ask a Question