OK, Bear. Now What?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So this happened last week. And it turns out he's not all that friendly or cooperative. Most bears around here will leave when humans direct them too. Clearly this guy knows there's dinner below the surface. Anyway, the net saved me this time. But now he's been back at least twice and "rearranged" the net for me.

This is the first time in 6 years I've had this much of a problem with a bear. Haven't lost a fish since the beginning, but this guy seems pretty determined. Anybody got thoughts on other defensive measures? And please know we can't shoot them around here,

https://youtu.be/OwFJ7h26c7w

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well it was enjoying the drink it was getting!

For our bees, if a bear came to visit, we would need to install electric fencing with bacon on the wires to make the shock hit their mouth. For a pond no clue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for that. Good idea. At least during the winter when they're probably looking for new food sources.

So far I think he just paws at the net because he/she is worried about getting caught in it should he enter the pond. Smart bear...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Definitely electricity to ward off that bear but maybe he won't enter ever cuz of the net. I wouldn't take any chances tho as he could really mess up your pond big time!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Well, he certainly is gorgeous but I can understand wanting to discourage these visits !

Reaction score
Country
United States
People use sprinklers with motion detectors to keep away hearings. Maybe a sprinkler with the motion detector bear walks up and gets smashed in the face with some water might run away

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Scarecrow motion sprinkler only works when weather is not freezing tho so have to turn it off or it will freeze.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So this happened last week. And it turns out he's not all that friendly or cooperative. Most bears around here will leave when humans direct them too. Clearly this guy knows there's dinner below the surface. Anyway, the net saved me this time. But now he's been back at least twice and "rearranged" the net for me.

This is the first time in 6 years I've had this much of a problem with a bear. Haven't lost a fish since the beginning, but this guy seems pretty determined. Anybody got thoughts on other defensive measures? And please know we can't shoot them around here,

https://youtu.be/OwFJ7h26c7w
As much as i love bears . Thats getting too close and personal . One sure way to keep him /her away would be to drop some firecrackers down next to them . i guarantee you won't see them for a few days be diligent and keep an eye out for them and get them again and they will avoid your property at least they will resort to you last.
Unfortunately a bears coat is so thick i doubt an electric fence will do much of anything unless they stick there nose on it . An other option is those scarecrows. Or you could even try something as simple as a motion sensor with a light.

i'd be at war with myself to allow the bear to hang around. where i would love for him to be around. if it came to be a mom and brought cubs by i'd almost sacrifice the fish. but my family would win out in the end and i'd have to chase them away.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We had one bear here and she was caught and they could not find her cubs .I found them in my apple tree and called them to pick them up .They caught momma on highway 58 and were announcing on the local warning channel that they were looking for her cubs and where to call if you spotted them .Mom and babies were reunited and relocated

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You could try to contact your state agency for wildlife management in your area and let them know about the bear's multiple visits. If the bear is, or becomes, especially bold or shows aggressive behavior, wildlife management will probably kill it. They probably won't trap the bear and relocate it because its a lot of effort. But they can direct you of the best ways to avoid human - bear conflict. Like not putting out bird feeders, securing your trash, cleaning and/or locking up any outdoor grills, and not feeding pets outdoors, etc. If you have any neighbors nearby it wouldn't hurt to let them know of the bear being in the area so they can also bear proof their homes/yards.

Electric bear fence is available on the market -- and it does work when installed properly.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Lights and sprinklers aren't going to work. Being that this is a black bear located in the south east U.S. -- SAFE hazing with noise can be helpful as long as you can do it from someplace safe and secure, and the method of noise making isn't hazardous to the bear or people and structures that may be nearby (ie. no fireworks or live ammo gunfire). Yell, bang pots/pans, bang metal trash can lids, etc.

As mentioned in my previous post, electric bear fence does work when installed correctly. But hopefully you won't have to resort to that, as electric fencing brings its own group of problems...like making sure to keep the wires clear of growing vegetation, posting warnings that an electric fence is in use, making sure it is properly grounded with lightening arrester installed, and its also not very pretty...

Last edited:

Ask a Question