ok my daily query Gold spots?

Reaction score
i have noticed that some of them seem to flash after i feed them , and yes colleen they are chasing and bumping each other , the flashing has been going on a while and it isn't constant just a flash once in a while and seeing that they are all eating well and don't seem to be distressed i am going to leave them alone , i occasionally add a little coppersafe to the water about once a month just to help fight against parasites ..

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sounds like their spawning to me. When fish are spawing, they all like to get involved, even the little guys. Its like a group mating thing! Ha Ha Ha. Just can't help myself, I like to laugh a lot:)

Regards to the Copper Safe, have you read the fine print to see how "safe" it really is? I know that some copper treatments are "toxic to aquatic life. I have not used Copper safe so see what it says and let me know.

When it comes to "doctoring the fish yourself", I too have lost fish, in my younger days.....years ago, trying that trick! (Many times I might add) Even the "salt" treatment can be dangerous. Sometimes just moving the sick fish is worse than anything! (HELP! Where am I? ... This big thing put me in a nasty little bucket ....I CAN'T BREATHE!.....I am with the "others"on that thought:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am realativly new to raising koi. I have on the other hand had fresh water fish and saltwater fish for years and i almost never have medicated. if you control there environment and keep everything in check it almost always works out for the good. One thing I make sure I have done for all my fresh water fish is make sure they have NaCl (sodium chloride) in the water. It is sold as salt for fresh water fish. This will help promote good healthy slime coat and may kill parasites as well asgives the fish electrolytes. Never had a problem with fish by doing this. But there is also negatives to this as a lot of folks do not properlly measure it out and may burn the fish and or even kill them. It is up to you to deside what is best for you and your fish. I hope others will chime in as well.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I am realativly new to raising koi. I have on the other hand had fresh water fish and saltwater fish for years and i almost never have medicated. if you control there environment and keep everything in check it almost always works out for the good. One thing I make sure I have done for all my fresh water fish is make sure they have NaCl (sodium chloride) in the water. It is sold as salt for fresh water fish. This will help promote good healthy slime coat and may kill parasites as well asgives the fish electrolytes. Never had a problem with fish by doing this. But there is also negatives to this as a lot of folks do not properlly measure it out and may burn the fish and or even kill them. It is up to you to deside what is best for you and your fish. I hope others will chime in as well.
Yes, many, many moons ago, when I was "young and dumb" I "may or may not" have been guilty of this!

Ask a Question