Ok plant folk

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
How many gallons? That's still an awfully big swing in a few hours time. Almost 30 degrees?
Few hours? temps checked at ~6:30 am, and then again ~3:30pm. That's about 9 hours. with full sun, no wind, no clouds.
Roughly 3000 gallons.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hum, that reading seems high. Try shading the thermometer. Also, you might take an aquarium thermometer with an 18 inch to 2-foot long wired probe to get the actual temp at depth. They are accurate especially the Lifeguard big display, temp alert brand. They aren’t weather proof so take indoors after reading. Your plant probably has several issues. Lack of sufficient nutrition might be a contributing factor but my guess is sunburn and temperature. Plants (aquatic and terrestrial) overwintered indoors, should be gradually reintroduced to full sunshine when taken outdoors. Sunburn can seriously set back plant growth for weeks and in severe cases, kill the plant. Also, plants get shocked when taken from say, 70-degree indoor water to cooler outdoor water. This is especially true for tropical water lilies which can be significantly set back if placed in cool water. Hope this helps!
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Few hours? temps checked at ~6:30 am, and then again ~3:30pm. That's about 9 hours. with full sun, no wind, no clouds.
Roughly 3000 gallons.

Yup. Something's not right with your thermometer. Maybe your surface water is warming and cooling, but that much water wouldn't change temperature that fast in that short a period of time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
th.jpg
View attachment 112055 View attachment 112056 i know little to nothing about planting ponds. So winging it with some help. First off, what is happening to my hyacinth? They were started indoors and produced babies once they hit the pond. Then a couple of weeks ago I noticed the roots turning a purple black color. They don’t look so hot to me but what do I know?
My water hyacinth didn't do well this year either this year. The temp have been fluctuating allot and I don't think their is enough nutrients in the water since I built my bog and have so many other plants in the pond.
My advise is by plants in soil from a nursery. They seem to do much better than the ones I have ordered on line that don't come in soil.
Personally I recommend Water Hawthorn. J.W recommended it to me and it is great. Just put in a larger pot than you buy it in so it can grow. Puss a couple of fertilizer every month or so and they go nuts. They like our hot and cold weather.

Ask a Question