OLD AGE?

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I want to chime in here. I understand what Angel is saying but at the same time you are dealing with a sick pet that is very dear to your heart. In these circumstances we need immediate advice and have to take action, there is no fault in that.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
it is really hard to say how to treat them if you have never seen the fish in person .All the sights say salt dip because they think it is a cure all .It is just another mundane fix .I wish I could help more but since I can't really give a quick fix all I can do is address what I know about koi .They need lots of oxygen and a healthy diet .Can something have gotten into the pond I don't know .I have koi and over filter my water but I have never done a large water change and I have well water .I wish I could help more but I am stuck .To me if you put the fish in a stock tank with pond water and a filter and a air stone to stimulate the fish it may help .I use hydroplex for sick fish and it works great .

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@DELBOY No problem. If you have had a Koi for 30 years I'd say you have about 30 years more experience than myself, haha, but I would guess Meyer Jordan is correct, as well as your initial thought that it is just that time. Without having experience I can't say, but it seems like quarantining him if possible as suggested by Sissy is logical as well as in regards to the salt water dips and am not sure the stress of netting him over and over for them is good either. It is hard to say what is the right course of action is but I'd bet you instincts are right, maybe it conflicts with a different part of you. If you'll keep us updated it helps in future similar situations.

In the hopes of clearing the air I will say this.
This is a community of people with a common interest and the initial part of your post on Friday felt a little insulting but, and I don't think it is productive to hash it out, it's water under the bridge, over the Garden Pond ;) I don't want you left feeling like this is just some hostile place, it is exactly the opposite of that.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thankyou again,I am not doing anymore salt baths,my feeling is that if it was going to do anything then the 2 I have alreadly done would be enough,I am going to buy some water conditioner and some stuff to help the good bacterier in my filters,I am taking a water sample to a koi centre for them to test it.I do get upset easily and if you knew me you would all understand where i am coming from,I mean well but sometimes don't say the right things or at the right time,sorry if i upset anyone .What winds me up is that for the first 25 years of his life he was in a tiny pond,I hardly ever changed the water and i cleaned the filters out when i thought about it and he went from a few ounces to 11lb,he was in there with a few goldfish,but i never had any problems,moved down here and now he has a mate the same size(well a bit bigger) and loads of room to swim round in,but in the 4 years i had this pond i have had problems every year and had to add cemicals for one thing or another,but not this year,I think that thats the answer ,it takes at least 3 years for a new pond to get settled ,and as you said this all might help someone else in the future,the koi place said as a last resort they have something to put in a tub of water and send him to sleep,thats the hard bit ,it will be up to me to make the decision just like i have had to with all my other babys (dogs and cats) and thats why i cant have any more pets,they break your heart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok,I have cleaned the filters out again,and added a whole tub of pure pond to help the bactearia and i have topped up the pond and added 20 ml of tap water condioner,fingers crossed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry losing a pet is heart breaking, but the time they are with you are worth it. good luck with him

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
In the words of Shakaho from another forum..... Your fish has officially achieved Geezer status. It was time. Sorry for your loss. Short of taking it to a vet I don't know if anything could have been done.

Last edited:

Ask a Question