old pond rebuild started

Reaction score
No bottom drain, this pond is not deep enough. The deepest part is 2.5 feet. Last winter was a test with how much freezing we get. It was a very cold and long winter and the pond did very well. It was barely 22" then. With the help of my husband the pond is all rocked, the skimmer is level and liner attached. The waterfall is built but not plumbed, one minor leak when I tested it but I think I like where it trickles down the front of a rock. This week I will finish the plumbing to the falls and let it cycle through for a couple days before I transfer the fish back.

I know the koi will be VERY glad to get out of the little pond. Oh, speaking of the little pond when I cleaned the filter I saw little red things I had never seen before. At closer inspection they were little red worms. Anyone had those in their filter?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Those little red worms are common, they are actually good to have if you have them, If the fish get to one they will eat them and no harm. They eat sludge a lot like bacteria do and help in the breakdown.

Ask a Question