Otter's Eating Comets?

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
Imagine the hell that
I notice you avatar is a turtle. Could you have one in your pond?
If he does he won't for long.

Attachments

• 1572648960_28ddfade4e.jpg
    1572648960_28ddfade4e.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 196
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Predators have good memories for where they have been lucky in the past. Any new critter that ends up in his pond will just be another item on the menu the next time it makes its rounds. If it were my pond and my situation I would keep it stocked with cheap feeders and put up a webcam. Otters are clowny fun to watch buggers. It brings back a memory from 20 years ago when I used to like fishing the susquehanna down stream from a warm water power plant discharge in the winter. The fishing was always fantastic through the winter for channel cats and big carp. That was until they started reintroducing river otter, we would be having great luck then it would just stop,sure enough we would start noticing the otters. They would get drawn by the sounds of fish splashing and that would be it for the evening .

I like this idea, the idea of them chasing cheap little feeder fish may be more entertaining then the frustration of keeping them out. If you cant beat them, join them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 6b
Country
United States
I notice you avatar is a turtle. Could you have one in your pond?

No. I accidentally caught the turtle while fishing for bluegills in one of the nearby farm ponds. I brought him home for the photo, then returned him to his home.

My pond is not suitable for such a turtle, as there is nowhere for it to climb out and bask out of water.

If you are thinking that a turtle was the fish eating culprit, rest assured that I saw the otter emerge with my fish cross-ways in his mouth!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
No. I accidentally caught the turtle while fishing for bluegills in one of the nearby farm ponds. I brought him home for the photo, then returned him to his home.

My pond is not suitable for such a turtle, as there is nowhere for it to climb out and bask out of water.

If you are thinking that a turtle was the fish eating culprit, rest assured that I saw the otter emerge with my fish cross-ways in his mouth!

Oh no, I wasn't concerned the turtle ate your fish, was just thinking of otter proof pond critters for you :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks to Pecan for sharing my story here, and providing a link to your forum.

And thanks for all your condolences and suggestions.

One of my comets reappeared from hiding today, the smallest one. I will probably buy a few more, just to keep mosquito larvae under control.

There are six farm ponds within two hundred yards of my home, all with frogs and most with fish. I doubt that the otter will visit often, since he wiped out most of the animal life in my little pond.

Here is my pond, in happier days.

Edited to add, per Smaug's question, yes, I'm sure it's an otter. And I have no plans to try to shoot it.

View attachment 90912
I'm sure it's an otter. And I have no plans to try to shoot it.
Thank you for that (y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Nice pond. Sorry about your fish. Hoping you have no more problems with your otter.

Ask a Question