Our new pond - Started Fall 2011 - Complete - ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ok.. closed up the pond his past weekend after our second summer with our new pond. Last winter, my netting supports didn't hold up. The weight of the snow and ice literally bent the 1" steel pipes right over the walls of the pond. At least I know the walls were built well!!! But I was really worried about the pressure they placed on the walls so I had to redesign them. I moved the pipes back under the deck this year and added anchor cables to both ends to counter act the weight of the snow. In this pic the anchors are three 4" concrete pipe with an imbedded stainless steel ring in them. They are hooked to the steel pipe with aircraft cable and turnbuckles so they can be tightened during the winter if needed.

IMG_0913.jpg IMG_0915.jpg
On the other end, I used 6" x 6" pressure treated timbers held in the ground with 2' rebar. I used this design so it would minimize the damage to the turf. Because the timbers are on their edges only small portion is on the ground. In the Spring I can pull the rebar out and store the timbers under the deck for the next winter. The grass under the timber should recover quickly in the spring.
IMG_0920.jpg IMG_0922.jpg
The sides are held down on one side with large tent stakes. On the deck side, the netting is attached with cable ties to two 10' steel pipes. The pipes in turn are tied via rope to hidden anchors on the bottom of the rear joist.
IMG_0919.jpg IMG_0924.jpg
The netting is long enough that between the extra length, and the raised wall on the end, we can leave the one end open with limited chances for leaves to get into the opening.
IMG_0916.jpg IMG_0917.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We did redo and expand the upper deck this year. We didn't forget the railings. We ordered cable railings for the upper deck and are waiting for them to be delivered.
IMG_0896.JPG IMG_0897.JPG IMG_0899.JPG IMG_0900.JPG

Ask a Question