Overflow question

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I will be installing a pond in about a month. It will be 5'x9'x3' and will have a smaller waterfall running into it. Im new to ponds, but not new to fish keeping. I've had multiple saltwater setups over the years and am now looking to bring fish into our backyard oasis. My biggest question at the moment is about pond overflow. The pond will be surrounded on three sides by either retaining walls(2 sides) or concrete back porch(1 wall) and will have a newly laid paver patio for about 20 feet in front of it. I see some people dig one side a little lower to allow run off into a more suitable area, but i dont think that would work in my scenario as I don't want pond water running across our patio. I was considering a float switch with a pump in the pond that can be activated once it reaches the top that then turns on the pump and pumps water over the retaining wall and into a drain. So far, thats the best solution I've come up with, but would definitely love to hear other options. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sounds like it's gonna be a great pond!

If you don't have anywhere downhill from the pond to drain to, then you gotta use a pump, like you said.

It sounds like maybe there is a suitable location on the other side of your patio and the patio is not there yet? If that's the case, why not plumb a drain line just beneath the patio before you lay the pavers.

Or you could make it a design feature by incorporating a dry creek bed that runs through your patio and carries overflow to the other side? Could be exposed in some locations and then choked down to a pipe in others with pavers over it (land bridge) so that you can cross it easily.

Lots of options!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1621892976634.gif
and welcome @Jagsfan

Jagsfan

Donor
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Thank you! I've been on similar forums for reef keeping for years and understand the value of having experienced people to ask questions to. Glad I could find one for pond keeping as well.

@combatwombat , Thanks for the tips. i actually have a meeting with my contractor on Thursday and i think running a pipe under the patio as its being built may be the best option.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Our overflow goes into our storm sewer. We just buried a 3 inch pipe from the pond to the downspout that feeds into the storm sewer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Our overflow goes into our storm sewer. We just buried a 3 inch pipe from the pond to the downspout that feeds into the storm sewer.

I’m jealous of homes that have access to a storm sewer. We’re required here to manage all rainfall on site.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We’re required here to manage all rainfall on site.

The crappy part of our situation was the we DO have access to the storm sewers, but when they built our subdivision they were too cheap to tie anyone into it. So all the sump pumps and downspouts drained into yards. Works fine in some situations, but our house is set lower than the house on either side, so we were the bowl that caught all the water. We went through three sump pumps in about 10 years - it ran non-stop almost all year long. Cost us some money, but we worked with our neighbors to get all the sumps and downspouts tied into plumbing that now goes to the sewer. So many problems solved.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We just let it drain down our non stop slopes and back into the woods. One good thing the house is always dry.

Ask a Question