Overflowing Bog

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have almost all of my 6800 gph pump sending water into the bog. I have never reduced the flow into the bog. Mine is huge. The one time it almost overflowed I just raised the edge about 2-3 years after turn on and have not had to do it again. But like I said I do need to watch the plant growth, they go crazy. It is not the roots it is the green growth, they restrict the flow back out of the bog. Most of my bog plants are shallow rooted. Mine is 2.5 feet deep.
When you say "green growth" do you mean algae in the pea gravel?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When you say "green growth" do you mean algae in the pea gravel?
No the plants above the roots. I get a bit of algae early spring then the plants take over and it is gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
it sounds to me like you have either a clogging down below which is causing the water to find the easiest way up ala the sides, which in turn raises the bog water level (without opening the output from your bog to the pond) or plant roots have clogged from the top, doing the same thing. Even though your plants are shallow rooted, the water coming from below still has to find a way up/past. If you thin out your bog plants to 50%, does the issue resolve? You can also dig down and see how 'muddy' the water is down below. If it's pretty foul looking, chances are it's clogging from below and might require cleaning. Another question; is your bog input source sitting on the bottom of your pond or is it raised? Raised should mean you're drastically reducing the debris going into your bog.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
is your bog input source sitting on the bottom of your pond or is it raised?

Good question!

I pull from about a foot from the bottom of the pond. It does keep down the amount of solids that make it into the bog. I also have a huge leaf basket between the pond draw and the pump (external) I only need to clean it when I shut down the pond very little debris is pulled in.

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
String algae was , still is , constant concern in my bog filter, big chunks coming out of the
clean out and around plants and spillway to pond, while the pond itself have no issues.
I can see these huge colonies diverting water from the spillway , you probably checked that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If I’m understanding your post, the water isn’t escaping your bog as fast as it is getting in. Try making a clear pathway for it to get to the bog exit, just make little ditches in the rock using a hand or stick, maybe thin a few plants out. Check if the rock is all gunked up, if it is then you need to do a clean out, and consider reducing the flow so that the bacteria has time to break the fish waste down before more is added.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
it sounds to me like you have either a clogging down below which is causing the water to find the easiest way up ala the sides, which in turn raises the bog water level (without opening the output from your bog to the pond) or plant roots have clogged from the top, doing the same thing. Even though your plants are shallow-rooted, the water coming from below still has to find a way up/past. If you thin out your bog plants to 50%, does the issue resolve? You can also dig down and see how 'muddy' the water is down below. If it's pretty foul looking, chances are it's clogging from below and might require cleaning. Another question; is your bog input source sitting on the bottom of your pond or is it raised? Raised should mean you're drastically reducing the debris going into your bog.
Yes, I think you have identified the causes of the issues I am having. It's probably a little of both - clogging from both above and below. I do keep my pump input off the bottom but I think a fair bit of sediment from dead string algae made its way into the bog which increased plant growth. So it is a double-edged sword.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If I’m understanding your post, the water isn’t escaping your bog as fast as it is getting in. Try making a clear pathway for it to get to the bog exit, just make little ditches in the rock using a hand or stick, maybe thin a few plants out. Check if the rock is all gunked up, if it is then you need to do a clean out, and consider reducing the flow so that the bacteria has time to break the fish waste down before more is added.
Yes, increasing output is what I would like to achieve (as opposed to decreasing input). Others have suggested increasing the width of the rock wall junction with the pond which is not really that feasible without redesigning the pond. The idea of creating pathways for the water to escape sounds promising. that's why I was wondering if anyone had tried using drain tile (PVC tubing with holes in it) to increase output from the bog.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@jbowyers
If you want some help and ideas . you have to get some pictures to this blog . if you don't know how to we can help. but thats the only way we can give the best ideas for your particular build

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think you should concentrate not on allowing more water to escape the bog but figure out how to allow the water getting in to rise up normally, again. Clogging means the water is channeling elsewhere (as I noted in my case, up along the liner/vertical cleanout walls) and avoiding the bulk of your pea gravel surface. If it used to flow well, it shoud be made to do the same with the same input and output as when first built.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Broken sword is correct, if it did it before, there has been no change to flow, size of out put, then you are just treating a symptom instead of what could be a very bad problem.
I don’t understand your drain tile idea. Short of putting a pump in there attached to a hose that runs to the pond, you have two options, one you say isn’t feasible. Option a is to make wider output, you say isn’t feasible, I say send pictures. Unless it is wide open all along the pond edge, that’s your easiest option just for a first response from most of us.
Option b, reduce things blocking waters path, and make channels in the rock to allow water to escape faster. This is sacrificing water quality for water volume, and is a fix you will have to maintain by keeping plants thinned, good only until you can resolve the real problem, which is what you need to address. It’s just going to get worse otherwise.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I think you should concentrate not on allowing more water to escape the bog but figure out how to allow the water getting in to rise up normally, again. Clogging means the water is channeling elsewhere (as I noted in my case, up along the liner/vertical cleanout walls) and avoiding the bulk of your pea gravel surface. If it used to flow well, it shoud be made to do the same with the same input and output as when first built.
yes, I think you make a good point. Ultimately not dealing with the clogging reduces the flow of nutrients to the plants and makes the bog less efficient.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Here is a basic sketch of the bog. The bottom version includes a potential drain added to the center of the bog. Adding the drain essentially increases the output area and would have a similar effect to increasing the length of the dividing wall as some people have suggested. I agree that it is treating a symptom but ultimately the bog will always be clogging up and need periodic thinning and cleaning. My thought is by adding the drain I might be able to go longer between maintenance sessions.

Attachments

• bog.png
    bog.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 58
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Where would the drain go? I guess I'm still confused!
It would be a piece of perforated PVC that sits at the bottom of the pea gravel and provides a channel for water to escape into the pond. Here is a profile of the bog

Attachments

• Bog-Profile.png
    Bog-Profile.png
    7.6 KB · Views: 57

Ask a Question