Overwintering Pond Plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you heat the water or use an air stone?
I don’t heat the water. The basement stays around 55 degrees all winter. There is aluminum foil all around the indoor pond to reflect the light around. I do have a small fountain pump that just pushes the water up into the air to get more oxygen in the water & keep it fresh. I am amazed how fast it evaporates

Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t heat the water. The basement stays around 55 degrees all winter. There is aluminum foil all around the indoor pond to reflect the light around. I do have a small fountain pump that just pushes the water up into the air to get more oxygen in the water & keep it fresh. I am amazed how fast it evaporates
My lighting is seven 17 watt led lights that you can see in the picture I got them from Amazon will post a pic of the ones I bought

Reaction score
Country
United States
73210CC1-5CF5-443E-B520-19C8E4B1CD63.png
My lighting is seven 17 watt led lights that you can see in the picture I got them from Amazon will post a pic of the ones I bought
Oops. It’s 12 watts and unfortunately currently unavailable but possibly could be purchased elsewhere

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in Michigan where it drops below zero degrees through winter. I have a few pond plants I’d like to bring inside and try to save for next year. It’s not that they’re expensive to repurchase but they are incredibly hard to find around here! I like to have 1/3 of my pond covered in plants and trying to locate them has proven to be a big pain. I currently have some water lettuce, water hyacinth, and rain lily plants that will not survive winter. Any helpful tips on how to keep them inside for a few months! Thanks!
Hi there Angela, I'm in Michigan also on west shore in Muskegon. We have been buying our pond plants for years online from Ponddeals.com The plants are very healthy and very inexpensive so we don't worry about overwintering our plants. I highly recommend them.
MaryLou (e-mail address removed)

Ask a Question