Owls eating goldfish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I never thought of owls as a risk. But I spotted this one last night on my porch. And it could explain why my whiter fish have been disappearing overnight with no disturbance of potted plants (that usually means a raccoon was in the pond).

I only turned the light on to take my dog out. So the owl was sitting there in the dark, in eyesight of my pond.

A google search confirms owls can get goldfish. I had no idea.

Attachments

• PXL_20230401_044225552.jpg
    PXL_20230401_044225552.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20230401_044230278.jpg
    PXL_20230401_044230278.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 46
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I never thought of owls as a risk. But I spotted this one last night on my porch. And it could explain why my whiter fish have been disappearing overnight with no disturbance of potted plants (that usually means a raccoon was in the pond).

I only turned the light on to take my dog out. So the owl was sitting there in the dark, in eyesight of my pond.

I can't quite tell which owl you have there but sure, I guess if they're hungry enough they might try. I have some 3-4 inch feeder goldfish in about a foot of water in a 20 gallon tub and the owls here have never bothered them. I think they prefer chipmunks :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe just about every predator will not refuse a easy meal. That goes from the smallest mouse to the biggest bear. iF A MEAL PRESENTS ITS SELF ITS A GONNER.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it is a little Western Screech Owl.

None of my biggest fish have disappeared.

I have to notice a fish is missing and not see it at least a few days before I call it gone. Sometimes I think one disappeared and it shows back up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We have nesting barred owls and they hunt all over my property. I really hope they stick with rodents and don't crave a fish dinner!

Reaction score
Country
Peru
Near my place, there is a natural reserve that hosts migratory and resident birds, that could represent a certain predator danger for my fish. Nothing happened sofar, but as a preventive action I am preparing some wood for them as shelter, sun protection, more natural environment, playing area for the youngest :D, etc (I have some hyperactive shubunkin, still too small for the pond)
Wood in general not recommended, but in this case...necessary.
Good luck

Attachments

• cypress wood_19.JPG
    cypress wood_19.JPG
    148.5 KB · Views: 17
Reaction score
Country
United States
I set up a Ring Camera in the backyard overlooking my pond. I caught the footage of an owl swooping in to take a frog of fish.

Lucky you got to see what happened. As much as it bothers me to lose a fish, I tell myself it was a good day for the owl.

I am thinking of putting string lights over my pond for lighting and to act as a slight barrier to winged hunters.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So great to have a camera out there -- you'll probably be surprised by the variety of visitors. My guess would be a frog was the goal. My frog seems to linger on top of the water longer than the fish but so far the local pair of owls haven't been tempted by him. So far...

Reaction score
Country
United States

Just like black bears eat 2 humans a year in Coker

sorry my phone went stupid. Just like black bears eating humans when foraging is limited, predators or animals in general are opportunistic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just like black bears eat 2 humans a year in Coker

sorry my phone went stupid. Just like black bears eating humans when foraging is limited, predators or animals in general are opportunistic.
Of course, that makes good sense. They eat what's easiest to get to.

LOL -- glad to hear I don't need to google "Coker" so I can avoid going there :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dang that was sposed to say don’t know lol this thing is really stupid today. Could be user error too. Maybe I’m the stupid one lol

Ask a Question