Painted Turtles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I’ve had a baby painted turtle in my pond for a few months now. He’s not bothering my koi. I figured it would’ve wandered off by now but he seems to like it here. ‍♀️ Just wondering if he will survive winter in my pond since there isn't any mud in the bottom to burrow in? I use a pond breather & air bubbler. We can get into negative temps in Michigan. My pond freezes over but not to the bottom obviously. Here is a picture of his cuteness.

Attachments

• 4477946C-FF12-4D1B-8BE9-BBC890C139C5.jpeg
    4477946C-FF12-4D1B-8BE9-BBC890C139C5.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 124

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The turtle will be fine they don’t need mud, they usually brumate under or in between rocks or logs, plant pots, where they feel comfortable to winter over. If your fish make it through he winter so will the turtle. Pretty cool that it found your pond and decided to stay.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
A lady I used to know filled a dish pan with sand and muck and placed it on the bottom of her pond and turtles brumated in it. I have also heard they will hang out in hollow logs, under leaves etc.....in marshy areas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
if i got one next year for my pond would he attack my fish and frogs/ disturb there breeding and attack the tads and spawn

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
if i got one next year for my pond would he attack my fish and frogs/ disturb there breeding and attack the tads and spawn

Really depends on your pond size. They are opportunists, so if they can catch prey with little effort they will eat it. I’ve had painted turtles in a 1000 Gallon pond in the past, they ate or tried To eat everything that entered the pond be it plant or animal. Also, had them in larger ponds and they were fine.

I now have Diamondback terrapins in a 1800 gallon pond and my main 10000 gallon pond. They are strictly carnivores, but have never seen any of them bother fish, frogs or really any aquatic life.

Will add if you dont fence in the pond area, all turtles will leave, eventually. They are all excellent escape artists as well. All my ponds are fenced in to contain them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ok its not the worlds biggest pond by all means i think its only like 8 by 10 ft long and wide. i dont think a baby painted turtle could do too much harm. ive looked into getting a box turtle and i think they would love to live by my pond but ive done some cool herping experiances with them and i was able to actually watch a box turtle catch and consume a small frog. the frogs in my pond arent that small either so i think theyed be fine, right. if i gave a box turtle a pellet and greens diet he shouldnt go after the frogs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
just thought id show the box turtle pics because they were awsome but heres some of the easterns i saw on my trip the one has the frog i was talking about in its mouth, i didnt purposly disturb her from eating i just was moving her off the road so she wouldnt get hit by a car so i took a quick pic
Screenshot 2020-09-09 at 10.17.53 AM.png
this guy was realy funny we found him at land between the lacks in kentucky at an off road park while i was flipping a hood for kingsnakes.
Screenshot 2020-09-09 at 10.18.50 AM.png
we found this guy close to the snake road. we moved her off the big road and into the nature preserve. what a pretty turtle =)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yea one would think that a living water rock woulnt be able to climb. most people are wrong. to turtle proof what exactly does that mean like how tall would the fence need to be and how deep would it need to go to be effective at keeping a turtle that naturally climbs and digs from leaving also i know they do swim a bit so what are the requirments with that.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
With my box turtles, I have the sides of their enclosure about 18” high (I’m short, so need to be able to step over). There are different ways to prevent climbing. My 2 favorites are to have an overhang along the top edge of the fencing ( If they manage to get that high, they won’t be able to get over the overhang), and the other is to put some sort of cover over each inside corner (I use ceramic tiles with a rock on top). They can chimney-climb up corners — I’ve seen them do this. They are very strong, so it’s a good idea to anchor whatever you put up because they can and will muscle through it! Avoid using fencing like chain-link or chicken wire which can be climbed easily.

For the bottom, I dig the perimeter down about 6”-8” and install landscape bricks below ground as a footing. I also put a run of bricks above ground sort of on top of the footing. It fools them into thinking there is nothing there for them to dig under. I have read to use fencing (chicken wire) under the enclosure, but I don’t do that because I’m afraid they will hurt themselves trying to dig through it.

Two more points: 1). watch what you plant and where you plant it. If something (like a vine or a leaning plant) grows next to a wall, they can climb it — think of a trellis outside a 2nd story window. 2). Make the walls of their enclosure solid, so they can’t see to the other side. If they can see the other side, they are more likely to want to get to the other side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
yea i read that about them with the solid sides. i was thinking that landscape timbers would look cool but they would probally be able to scale that like a jungle gym. would you think that just someboards fastend with rebarb would work. turtles dont ussually come around our neighborhood so if any one were to see a box turtle theyd probally assume it was someones escaped pet. what do you do for the night. i was thinking that some type of a turtle box would be good. you close it at night and open it in the morning. we have all kinds of creatures that would take a box turtle for an easy meal like hawks owls racoons possums foxes coyotes and other animals like that. they are able to shut there shell but i dont feel safe just making it sit out the night. plus cuz its a pond all kinds of animals will want to come. it can be just as simple as a secure wooden box with heating inside?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@the reptile guy At the moment, I am between turtle enclosures as we recently moved and everything “turtle” (and fish) is on hold and temporary. Right now, I have them in a large cinderblock enclosure, 2 courses tall. When their habitat is re-done, it will have 2 or 3 rows of 8” pressure treated lumber, running horizontally. They are free to roam anywhere within the habitat, and I have it fixed up with multiple micro-climates. They have dirt piles to dig in, a nice mud-hole (that they dug themselves), plenty of man made tunnels, as well as overturned terracotta pots as “hides.” For now, they have multiple 14” plant saucers for water, but they will eventually have their own bog with circulating water. The only time they are “locked up” is during brumation time (in another month) — and when we had Hurricane Laura a few weeks ago. They have large tubs in the garage to brumate in for now, but once their new habitat is completed, they will be free to put themselves up at night, in whatever manner each one prefers — and each one has a favorite spot. Again, I offer all kinds of micro-climates and hides for them to feel safe. Have never had an issue with critters, though once, many years ago, I went outside to do a PM check on them, and found an opossum curled up in their habitat. It was gone next morning.

There is no need for anything heated. When our nighttime temps stay consistently in the 40’s - 50’s, they’ll go into their brumation tubs where the temps will hover in the 50’s until time to bring them up in the Spring. My 2 biggest challenges are keeping them cool in the heat of summer, and keeping fire ants out of their habitat.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have a box turtle in the fenced area in my main pond for about 10 years now. Fence is a combo of wood, garden fence and poultry net, which has yet to have anything escape.All the turtles (box And semi aquatic)stay out there year round, nothing bothers the box turtle and we back to miles of woods. I do have a net high up over the Pond portion of the Enclosure the terrapins hang out in as hawks started snagging the juvenile terrapins last year. The bog Area is not netted so if the terrapins go back there they are on their own.

Like MMathis I created hides for the turtle and there is a magnolia tree in the enclosure, which I leave the leaves piled up under it as a spot for the box turtle to brumate in. All the terrapins brumate in various spots in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
oh no they took your terrapins, they wouldnt do that with a box turtle right. up here by chicago we dont have easterns naturally and i think its because it gets too cold here for them. id need to bring it into the garage and put him in a tub or possibly into my reptile room and just keep him in a 40 gal for the winter. also just a random question but how would they do with chickens. weve talked about getting brama chickens for a a bit now and i just wonder if we did get them would this turtle be living in a world of fear from the chickens or would he just not care after time. mmathis are you saying that they normaly would have a place to go during the nights and they dont atm or they would normaly have a place to go for the winter. also if they were to brumate do you need to bring them inside and give them some water like you would for a bearded dragon or they can last the whole winter. id probally bring it in because of how harsh the winter is but just asking

Ask a Question