Painting galvanized stock tank?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all! I was planning on getting a large poly stock tank for my goldfish but then someone gave me a galvanized one. Score! But it’s got a couple spots of rust. How should I seal them so they don’t get worse and are safe for fish? Would a paint like this be safe?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/100205766 or does anyone have a better product they have used with success?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did a bit more research. It Seems that fish don’t like zinc too much but people have luck with fish in them without treating. Maybe due to a bunch of plants absorbing it. Some chose to paint with pond armor. Some choose to use a pond liner. After determining that the process for applying the pond armor is a bit intense, I’ve decided to glue in a pond liner. This will be the easiest and safest for me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, free is worth twice the price! Nice job. How large is the tank? The thing about rust is it doesn't go away so I would deal with it beforehand. How big and deep are the rust spots?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes. I still need to deal with the rust. Hmm. They aren’t deep at all, approx 2” wide maybe. Just a couple. It’s an 8’ tank.

Ask a Question