PVC pipe -- painting or coating (for a pond edging idea)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Let me start by saying that if anyone has a better idea/solution for this border effect [would use wood as a last resort], PLEASE give me your input!

For part of the edging/border around the pond, I was thinking about doing something like this picture.
image.jpg

Was hoping I could use PVC pipe [maybe in various diameters], pounded into the ground just behind the berm. This would be a "border" also to contain a very small raised flagstone area, and would also serve as the "edging" for that section of the pond. The rest of the pond's edging will be stacked stones.

image.jpg

But I don't want WHITE PVC pipe -- would like it to be colored/painted/stained. I've tried painting PVC pipe in the past, and there is the issue of the paint coming off -- not good!

image.jpg

Does anyone know of a paint or coating that could be applied to the PVC pipe that would be more-or-less permanent and indestructible?

I forgot to add it to the picture, but in the second drawing, top left where the words "border (PVC)" are, is where the bog is going to go.

The "large rock" is an accent piece that we call the Sitting Rock, 'cause it's shaped like a sofa -- we can sit there and enjoy the pond :)

Reaction score
Seems like a great idea! I just finished putting in a bunch of wood like that - but it was expensive and I know it will rot in this climate pretty quickly. I might steal your idea. But yes, you'd need a good paint/stain for the pipe.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have used the Krylon plastic spray paint for some plastic chairs that I have and it has lasted for 2 years with some, not much, visible flaking. I think it would take a lot of long term maintenance that probably won't be worth it in the end. If you are looking for a smaller area, they do have a smaller copper tubing that you could use but I think the largest diameter is like 3/4" so it might not work to edge a larger area.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@tbendl For the paint, I'm not as concerned about "flaking" as I am about it's scratching off.

I like the WINE idea, LOL, but don't think bottles would be the best thing to have around a pond.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The paint I used on my chairs was for plastic and it has scraped off in some areas. They do make a high temp paint for bbq's and such that might be more durable. I'd grab a few bottles and give it a shot. And yeah, after looking at where you want the edging it might not be a great idea. I would think for a low traffic area it could work though, those wine bottles are pretty think and hard to break. + they are so pretty. Probably less so shattered all over your pond floor though. :/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
Why not use abs pipe, it is black all the way through, you would just need to remove the lettering on the pipe with a solvent of some sort. I'm going to assume you don't get a lot of freezing temps in the winter because either abs or pvc pipe would crack if water froze inside of it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The bigger the pipe the bigger the plant area or are you just going to put gravel in it .My neighbor has culvert pipe planters and it looks neat .He used the metal but they have plastic because that is what I used to extend my pipe under my driveway .The abs lettering can be removed with nail polish remover ,I have had to do that .Neat idea by the way

Reaction score
Sprayed on bed liner, like they do in truck beds? Super durable and I think they can come out to you and do it. Not sure the cost. Maybe a stucco type applications with concrete? Maybe look up a piping supplier and compare pricing for cheaper metals.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
http://makezine.com/projects/make-30/stain-pvc-any-color-you-like/ I just found this site for staining versus painting. I am not sure about toxicity though if that is a concern.

Thanks for this suggestion!
Finally checked it out, then Googled for several other sites. All were more or less variations of the same technique. It looks good, and it might work. To experiment I think I'll try some purple primer on a couple of pipes. On one source I found (it was a forum) the guy experimented with several products and different application techniques, and he said that you REALLY had to gouge the "stained" surface to get to the white PVC pipe -- he said it was even almost impossible to sand the color off.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The bigger the pipe the bigger the plant area or are you just going to put gravel in it .My neighbor has culvert pipe planters and it looks neat .He used the metal but they have plastic because that is what I used to extend my pipe under my driveway .The abs lettering can be removed with nail polish remover ,I have had to do that .Neat idea by the way
Gravel.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have been trying to find some of the 2 or 3 foot round culvert pipe for planters like my neighbor has for by my driveway .They are not cheap

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
@Mmathis I've seen some PVC pipes like the ones in your picture, except they're made of metal. And after exposure they turn rusty brown, so you don't have to paint them.

Ask a Question