Painting foam and pcv

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I read that I can paint waterfall foam and pvc with latex paint what do I need to know befor I do it. Cure time before it can get wet and any prep.sorry if I’m posting in wrong thread.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Water fall and pvc will get covered in muck that is black .I know some push gravel and dirt in foam before it cures but that does not last long as water just wears it away .I tried it on my neighbor build and it lasted only 2 years .You can paint it but even that does not last .I used black sump pump hose and you can use abs pipe

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I read that I can paint waterfall foam and pvc with latex paint what do I need to know befor I do it. Cure time before it can get wet and any prep.sorry if I’m posting in wrong thread.
I have tried using spray paints formulated for plastics on PVC — mixed results. The problem with PVC is that “things” don’t stick to it and will tend to eventually wear, rub, or scrape off. There are specific paints for PVC that will chemically bond with PVC (similar to using a solvent cement). Have never used latex. I Googled the PVC paint.

Prep-tip for painting PVC: sand it well before to give the paint more grip.

Now, as for the waterfall foam......I haven’t used this in particular, but have used the household spray foam insulation for lots of DIY projects. Again, mixed results with painting it. Spray acrylic worked best, but when I carved or sanded it, the paint adhered to the non-carved areas much better than it adhered to the sanded/carved areas. On one piece, I coated it with a brush-on primer before I sprayed it. The primer layer peeled off.

All of my projects were for use outside, most recently with my turtle habitat. I’ll look for pictures.

All of these (the “logs” and retaining wall) are PVC frames with insulation foam, spray painted. Outdoors, but not in direct sun.

FA5C37EE-9455-4E44-B452-E04EABCB9083.jpeg

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I painted my pvc years ago, it is still looking good.
I used a bit of sandpaper on it to rough it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I painted my pvc years ago, it is still looking good.
I used a bit of sandpaper on it to rough it.
What kind ofor paint did you use. I probably won't need to once I'm done redoing my rock work I used grey electric pvc so it should blend in. Just was checking my options incase I don't like the way it looks. But it already loos better than the green hose from my pump.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The spray paint for plastic. Bought it at lowes

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
This is for a pond with fish? Any old latex? I wouldn’t. There are anti fungal agents and other things in there. In aquariums everyone uses fusion for a lot. Krylon product.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a few parts I will need to paint; great thread OP as sanding the PVC never would have occurred to me.

Ask a Question