Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
stroppy said:
you might want to read this brick ..... http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html
scroll down to you get to peppermint
i think you might just end up with more bees !!!!

That's funny. I was looking up home remedies to keep fleas from coming from the neighbors. It said to plant mint along the fence, fleas won't cross it. And this article Stroppy found said the same. I have Chocolate Mint planted on the edge of my pond. (Not sure if it's the same as Peppermint) It grows over and into the pond. The fish eat it. And they lay their eggs in it. I still have wasps and bees flying around. It's been pretty hot and dry here. They don't bother me. At least not yet ... lol They do make wasp catchers. It's a contraption where you fill it with something sugary, like juice, and they fly in the bottom and can't get back out. I had 2 of them, my daughter was having problems with wasps, so I gave them to her. They work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
stroppy said:
you might want to read this brick ..... http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html
scroll down to you get to peppermint
i think you might just end up with more bees !!!!

That's funny. I was looking up home remedies to keep fleas from coming from the neighbors. It said to plant mint along the fence, fleas won't cross it. And this article Stroppy found said the same. I have Chocolate Mint planted on the edge of my pond. (Not sure if it's the same as Peppermint) It grows over and into the pond. The fish eat it. And they lay their eggs in it. I still have wasps and bees flying around. It's been pretty hot and dry here. They don't bother me. At least not yet ... lol They do make wasp catchers. It's a contraption where you fill it with something sugary, like juice, and they fly in the bottom and can't get back out. I had 2 of them, my daughter was having problems with wasps, so I gave them to her. They work.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i have watermint in my pond ...dont think thats the same as peppermint but i have never seen bees around it .. theres lots of info on the net some say bees like it others say they dont

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i have watermint in my pond ...dont think thats the same as peppermint but i have never seen bees around it .. theres lots of info on the net some say bees like it others say they dont

Reaction score
stroppy said:

Thanks for all the responses everyone and the helpful suggestions. Unfortunately I am beginning to agree with stroppy and beginning to wonder if the strategy will work even if the fish aren't harmed by it. Pretty bad when you have sources ranging everywhere from bee repellant to bee attractant. I could see some debate over how well it worked as a repellant or something, but at that point you have people saying it works both ways, it makes you wonder if anybody actually knows what they are talking about at all.

Reaction score
stroppy said:

Thanks for all the responses everyone and the helpful suggestions. Unfortunately I am beginning to agree with stroppy and beginning to wonder if the strategy will work even if the fish aren't harmed by it. Pretty bad when you have sources ranging everywhere from bee repellant to bee attractant. I could see some debate over how well it worked as a repellant or something, but at that point you have people saying it works both ways, it makes you wonder if anybody actually knows what they are talking about at all.

Reaction score
I have spearmint growing in a large urn planter. I'll try to keep an eye on it. I would think it's the menthol in mint plants that would be the atrractant or deterant. Either way, most of that mint ends up in a Mojito. Yum, Yum, yummy....

I know what you mean by conflicting stories. It is abundant on fish forums. That is one reason I research things like crazy. I usually find consistancy on the .edu 's from university science departments or even .org's and .gov's . Like the saying goes "Trust, But Verify".

Reaction score
I have spearmint growing in a large urn planter. I'll try to keep an eye on it. I would think it's the menthol in mint plants that would be the atrractant or deterant. Either way, most of that mint ends up in a Mojito. Yum, Yum, yummy....

I know what you mean by conflicting stories. It is abundant on fish forums. That is one reason I research things like crazy. I usually find consistancy on the .edu 's from university science departments or even .org's and .gov's . Like the saying goes "Trust, But Verify".

Ask a Question