Peppermint Oil & Goldfish

Reaction score
stroppy said:
dont surpose theres any chance you could persuade your mums neighbor to build a pond ??? then they will leave your mums alone :0)

I wish. :biggrinangelA:

But in the end I think I am going to handle it in a similar fashion. Removing the hyacinth from the water really helped -- the bees absolutely loved that stuff. And now what I have decided to do is dig out a much smaller side pond about 30 feet from the main one, and fill it with the hyacinth (now sitting in buckets). If my diaboolical plan works correctly the bees will all swarm over to the hyacinth pond, which they love, and mostly leave the main pond alone.

We will see.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
They do. Problem is, they attract wasps, so you might trap the wasps in your yard, and have the wasps from surrounding yards attracted to the traps. People often set Japanese beetle traps around here, and it just makes their problems worse. I do love it, though, when my neighbors set up traps, it really decreases problems in my yard.

Have you spoken to the neighbor, to ask for a way to stop the bees without killing all of them? He or she might be very helpful, in order to avoid you killing the bees. Just a thought... Good luck, in any case.

Oh, yeah, maybe you or the neighbor could set up a water bucket or something more convenient to the bees, even plant hyacinth for them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have bees, wasps, hornets, butterflies, birds, frogs everywhere. I planted plants that are good for the critters, which attracts the bees etc. Now with water even more have moved in. But they don't seem to be that much of a bother. They do gather water, both neighbors have traps out, maybe that is helping.
The apples are falling and starting to rot that also attracts the wasps. As long as they don't make a nest where I need to be I tend to leave them alone.

In arizona the honey bees were always drinking from the waterfall. Never did get stung.

Maybe a bog garden filled with plants they like will draw them from the pond.

Ask a Question