Percy left

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Everyone said that Percy would leave some day but I thought that if I fed him really well he would stay...Yesterday I found that he had left the pond and tried to get under the fence where he jammed his shell. I freed him and dug under so that he could pass...He looked back before he left but the draw of a better world motivated him to continue on his journey... I never realized how much personality a turtle could have...I will miss him...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The Only thing I can think of as to why they leave is for a mate.

Or it is that time of year for hibernation . i know your in Florida but maybe 70 degrees to a turtle is similar to folks needing a down parker do there at 70.

Once a place is known to have food wildlife remembers

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm glad you at least got to bid him farewell... you know he left on his own volition. Happy travels to Percy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States

Or it is that time of year for hibernation . i know your in Florida but maybe 70 degrees to a turtle is similar to folks needing a down parker do there at 70.

Once a place is known to have food wildlife remembers
A friend's box turtle here goes under the leaves at 60 degrees and stays there. Yes, you are spot on: it's about the time the neighbors bring out the down parkas.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Percy was a pretty young turtle tho right? Is there an age or a size they need to be before they mate?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Farewell to your 'shelled' friend! You provided him with a wonderful home and lots of love. Who knows, he might return in the spring. In the meantime, Neptune says there is plenty of room in his 'B&B' so perhaps Percy can stop by for a visit!

Once a place is known to have food wildlife remember

Percy was a pretty young turtle tho right? Is there an age or a size they need to be before they mate?
Yes j.w... Percy was still too young to mate I think since his shell was only about 5 inches long. So GBBUDD's suggestion that he left to find a more suitable place to brumate might just be the answer. The other idea I have is that the Giant Egrets (there are three that come every day to my pond) were too much of a threat, even though I never saw them go after him. They haven't taken any of my fish either...I think they prefer frogs or fish in shallow water...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes j.w... Percy was still too young to mate I think since his shell was only about 5 inches long. So GBBUDD's suggestion that he left to find a more suitable place to brumate might just be the answer. The other idea I have is that the Giant Egrets (there are three that come every day to my pond) were too much of a threat, even though I never saw them go after him. They haven't taken any of my fish either...I think they prefer frogs or fish in shallow water...
So there is that chance that he/she might just come back when the weather warms up.
I did read that Egrets and other birds will eat small to medium sized turtles so that could be why it left also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
So there is that chance that he/she might just come back when the weather warms up.
I did read that Egrets and other birds will eat small to medium sized turtles so that could be why it left also.
I hope that he would be able to find his way back since there are so many fences to navigate around here...My watersnake came back last night..Weird to see the bright pattern slithering around in the water at night under my pond lights...I either have very smart fish (since I still have not lost even one!)
or all of the predators that visit my pond prefer frogs which I no longer have any of....

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I hope that he would be able to find his way back since there are so many fences to navigate around here...My watersnake came back last night..Weird to see the bright pattern slithering around in the water at night under my pond lights...I either have very smart fish (since I still have not lost even one!)
or all of the predators that visit my pond prefer frogs which I no longer have any of....
Uh oh if they run out of frogs I fear the fish are next on the menu! I doubt if the snake will turn vegan.

1669662117327.gif
1669662076499.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As good a chance as I would...... a CO worker got bit by a tick and ca no longer eat red meat and many other things. A 45 WOULD BE IN MY NEAR FUTURE IF IT WERE I.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Everyone said that Percy would leave some day but I thought that if I fed him really well he would stay...Yesterday I found that he had left the pond and tried to get under the fence where he jammed his shell. I freed him and dug under so that he could pass...He looked back before he left but the draw of a better world motivated him to continue on his journey... I never realized how much personality a turtle could have...I will miss him...
Well, that's a shame. I had hoped to hear that s/he would bring a mate to your pond, not go traveling. It would be really nice if Percy comes back once hibernation (or journeying) season is past.

Safe travels Percy!

Ask a Question