Picked up some beautiful koi and made new friends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good luck
Thank you, my fingers are crossed and 32oz of stress coat has been added. Checked ammonia right before putting them in and it it was spot on, I will check everything again tomorrow. Now it's time for some crash course Koi mastery. Naming convention for these are very different from what I am used to. Still have no clue what I have except for a few. And the ones I do (think I) know i can't spell so no sense in messing that up in public lol.

One thing i did learn that i thought was odd is that the butterfly koi, even though more beautiful in my eye, are not allowed in competition for a few different reasons.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you, my fingers are crossed and 32oz of stress coat has been added. Checked ammonia right before putting them in and it it was spot on, I will check everything again tomorrow. Now it's time for some crash course Koi mastery. Naming convention for these are very different from what I am used to. Still have no clue what I have except for a few. And the ones I do (think I) know i can't spell so no sense in messing that up in public lol.

One thing i did learn that i thought was odd is that the butterfly koi, even though more beautiful in my eye, are not allowed in competition for a few different reasons.
Yeah the koi keepers consider butterflies mutants, which they are. but I love a great pair of fins flowing as they swim

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah the koi keepers consider butterflies mutants, which they are. but I love a great pair of fins flowing as they swim
I believe your yellow butter fly to be a kokaku

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First time feeding them without them being to shy or scared to eat and spend time near me while I video them.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Very cool, you could get them to eat out of your hand, eventually. My koi and goldfish will swim into my hand if I place it in the water.

I like the look of butterfly koi, but they are the first to be lunch when mr heron shows up. So I quit buying them. Think I still have one butterfly koi left in the pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very cool, you could get them to eat out of your hand, eventually. My koi and goldfish will swim into my hand if I place it in the water.

I like the look of butterfly koi, but they are the first to be lunch when mr heron shows up. So I quit buying them. Think I still have one butterfly koi left in the pond.
I am hoping to work toward that they already recognize that people equals food and they get close as long as I don't move fast, luckily we don't have Herons but we do have hawks and raccoons.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Telion I'm so glad you posted the fish, I read a couple of threads about them and I was dyeing of curiosity! Love the Platinum Ogon!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Telion I'm so glad you posted the fish, I read a couple of threads about them and I was dyeing of curiosity! Love the Platinum Ogon!
Thank you double edged sword of luck lol. Everything we wanted and more than we can take on practically. Here are more pics prior to releasing some of the newer ones. The pics don't really do justice and the little silver one is really nice.
20180715_195554.jpg
20180715_200637.jpg
I can't believe i didn't get a pre-release pick of the biggest one. She? Is about 24"
20180715_203217.jpg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Very nice looking fish, you loaded up quick. Hard to pass up deals.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very nice fish!
I think my Sanke will eventually lose the rest of the red and be white with a few black spots like your female...would it still be called a Sanke if that happens I wonder:D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i'd ask how the fish are doing with limited feedings, but i'd be willing to bet the better question is how is the fist time ponder doing limiting his babies food? Or is he

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice fish!
I think my Sanke will eventually lose the rest of the red and be white with a few black spots like your female...would it still be called a Sanke if that happens I wonder:D
I am not so sure they change types but I am so new to this that I would be the last to know lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i'd ask how the fish are doing with limited feedings, but i'd be willing to bet the better question is how is the fist time ponder doing limiting his babies food? Or is he
They stay hungry they are always coming to me for food when I walk the pond but they are active and seem to be doing well. They are still being fed once per day though just a smaller amount.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
First time feeding them without them being to shy or scared to eat and spend time near me while I video them.

Very beautiful koi!
I wish my fish would be so mellow at feeding time, they get so wild they spook one another

Ask a Question