sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They sell them here and they come in 45 mil thick and 60 mils thick and are great for pond liners .That what a lot of pond owners have here and hope you get it for a good price .But love that liner just make sure before you put it in you lay it out in the sun unfolded so it is more flexible .Easier to work with that way and easier to do the folds also

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I keep looking at your pics and I am mesmerized by everything I see and every time I look at them i find something i missed .Is what i guess you call the smoke house made of concrete block or clay block .Our concrete block here is just that grey drab stuff and here in Virginia we don't see any clay tile roofs .I just love your pics ,I know I have said that over and over again ,but can't help it .

Reaction score
They sell them here and they come in 45 mil thick and 60 mils thick and are great for pond liners .That what a lot of pond owners have here and hope you get it for a good price .But love that liner just make sure before you put it in you lay it out in the sun unfolded so it is more flexible .Easier to work with that way and easier to do the folds also

Thats the one

45 mil = 1.15 mm
60 mil = 1.5 mm

I was little confused because Firestone has a special liner for ponds called Pond Guard (1.0 mm (.040”)) and on their web site it says:

Because of its specific formulation and production process, only the Firestone PondGard membrane is guaranteed to be compatible with aquatic life in accordance with testing reports published by the Water Research Centre in the UK.

so i was thinking that maybe this liner i found (45 mil) is just industrial one which is not compatible with fishes and such. Whats the average price for foot of Firestone 45 mil?

Reaction score
I keep looking at your pics and I am mesmerized by everything I see and every time I look at them i find something i missed .Is what i guess you call the smoke house made of concrete block or clay block .Our concrete block here is just that grey drab stuff and here in Virginia we don't see any clay tile roofs .I just love your pics ,I know I have said that over and over again ,but can't help it .

Clay block (which smoke house is made of) and clay tiles are standard building material here. We also use concrete blocks, but rare this days, maybe only on the corners to enchance static of the house but everything else is clay block. Houses are build to last...deep concrete foundations with lots of iron, wall of clay blocks and then concrete decks for upper floor with heavy wooden roof construction and clay tiles. We experimented with bitumen shingles but it not good for this climate...
Ive seen houses with direct hits from artillery and theres really not much damage. Maybe you should build like this in tornado alley ;)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
20 x20 here goes for about 210 US dollars and what I can see by them as I have both .pond guard and epdm is that they are the same thing .I can't tell which one is which without looking at the printing on them I think it just whatever they want to call them .I have samples of 4 different kinds and they all look the same .I would not get the 6o mil because that is thick and hard to handle and folds don't want to lay flat .Gosh your houses must be like fortresses .interesting info .I can't really say by foot as most places sell them by sizes

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I'm on the other side of the Appalachian mountains so far enough away from tornado and glad that I am .But there have been a few smaller tornados hit here but most bad storms hit the mountains and fizzle out .I know greystone creations.com sell them also.Some say they sell it for 65 cents a square foot with shipping .I would google it and see what you get or if you get E-bay you can check them out .

Reaction score
I'm on the other side of the Appalachian mountains so far enough away from tornado and glad that I am .But there have been a few smaller tornados hit here but most bad storms hit the mountains and fizzle out .I know greystone creations.com sell them also.Some say they sell it for 65 cents a square foot with shipping .I would google it and see what you get or if you get E-bay you can check them out .

This Firestone liner i have found would cost about 290$ for 20x20. Thats ok for imported good, i have also found same liner in another company but is double that price so it can be much worse.
20x20 would weight about 106 lbs so not buying localy would be really expensive with all shipping, taxes and imports.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats why it is betterto buy local or find one place that sells the liner with free shipping .Not many offer free shipping because of the cost of shipping .For 20x20 that is not a bad price .How deep are you making your pond .I hope you post pics of your build and I'm sure the whole family is going to love it .I bet when you build it some of your neighbors will be next after seeing yours as it is being built .I built mine and then after neighbors saw it I had 4 more neighbors build ponds or water features .Can't wait to see more pics of it and how it wil look

Reaction score
Thats why it is betterto buy local or find one place that sells the liner with free shipping .Not many offer free shipping because of the cost of shipping .For 20x20 that is not a bad price .How deep are you making your pond .I hope you post pics of your build and I'm sure the whole family is going to love it .I bet when you build it some of your neighbors will be next after seeing yours as it is being built .I built mine and then after neighbors saw it I had 4 more neighbors build ponds or water features .Can't wait to see more pics of it and how it wil look

I have one copycat neighbour. Once i made flower bed from half of wooden barell and week later neighbour is painting his hehe.
Pond will be deep about 5 feet, to get maximum volume of water on not so big surface. And ill record everything and start as soon as it is possible to work outside. Now its very cold (temperature is all day below freezing) and my tub pond is nice block of ice.
Fist i intend to dismantle compost boxes and reposition water collector then level ground and make pond collar. I dont have money for liner but think can do lots of work till liner is needed.
Im interested in something about bog... Bogs are mostly build higher than pond but i want it in the same level as pond to avoid need for pump working 24/7. Would it be good to separate bog from pond via not-watertight wall which would allow water to pass but not material in bog? And what material should i put? Pebbles are functional but seem not very usefull in terms of nutrition for plants

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know addy has a bog and uses pebbles .I use lava rock in My filters but don't know how that would work in a bog and no matter what if you have fish to keep up the quality of the water you will need to run your pump 24/7 and you may want to get a pump that is as energy efficient as possible .I just changed one of my filters into using a sump pump box as it is sturdier .But I have used lava rock as a filter media it is cheap and easy to clean .There are lots of choices in filter media though .Not sure what kinds of stones you have over there but there may be something better for your bog and you may have to post pics of them to give everyone an idea of what they look like .Pea gravel is great because it is fine enough to catch gunk but allow the roots to suck up all the nutrients the pond fish can give them .I don't know much about them and not sure how they keep from getting clogged up or if they ever need cleaned ..Gosh you are going to have a lot of work ahead of you .It has been fairly warm here so trying to get yard work done .I have 3 acres here so a lot of work .i try to get ahead of all the work but everyday the lit of things to do grows .Yep the work before the liner gets bought is the largest amount of work .Better to get all that done before you get the liner anyway that way if you have to make changes you will have found that out first .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice pretty snow view in that last photo sissy! We only have a little over an acre and next time I'd like more property.............that is if the market ever improves and we can sell! I'd like a smaller house w/ more treed land.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
land is nice but taking care of it is not and the house is 2440 sq.ft. I could just not bring myself to live in a small house ,dumb but thats just me . .The developer before i bought the property cut all the trees down and so far I have planted over 30 trees a lot are fruit trees and some maples .The shrubs I planted were were rose of sharon ever blooming and a few mock oranges ( flowers smell great ) and of course had to plant a few magnolias .It is the south .I just love majstors pics and figured I would show a few from Virginia .Give him an idea of what we have here .

Reaction score
I would also like big property but without big lawns or houses, life is too short to spend it on maintenance ;). Big lake, cottage and forest would be ok. Thanks sissy for info, ill check it what i have here concerning pumps and gravel for bog.
I have crushed granite in aquarium, its working nice and have nice dark colour, maybe ill use that for bog

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like these better.But glad to not see all that this winter

Attachments

• snow 01  08  2011 pee wees coffee 018.JPG
    snow 01 08 2011 pee wees coffee 018.JPG