Plans & dreams

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have lots of grasses that I split every year and have a hard time giving them all away. I will probably have about 20 grasses that will be split into about the size of a 2 gallon pot. I have about 4 or 5 different varieties.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Once those grasses get established, they do well. I have multiple different species. My favorite is the karly rose, it blooms all summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Addy, that one sounds pretty. I've added it to my "must have plant" list. :) Will look for it this spring. How tall does it get and post a pic, if you have one handy. Please and thanks!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can't find a picture of mine, this is off the internet. '

Pennisetum Karley Rose is a superb Ornamental Grass that provides 5 months of color, texture, motion & all season interest in your sun garden.
Loved for its extremely heavy rose-pink blooms & beautiful form. Unbelievable long flowering for an ornamental grass beginning in early summer & lasting well into the fall.
The pink flowers of this long-blooming ornamental grass make the perfect companion to fragrant Coneflowers, long-blooming Knock Out Roses, & our favorite drought-proof Sedums!
rnamental grasses grow well in full sun & well drained soil. Once established, they effortlessly take on heat, humidity & punishing sun.

imagesqtbnANd9GcQ170sERdoQyVxs1IgKa.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Oh, yeah!!! I definitely want some of those. They look to be only maybe 3-4' tall, is that close? I deinitely will have a place to put some of them, and then split and move if need be every year. I could use some grasses as pretty as that in LOTS of places. Thanks for posting the pic. It's on my "must have" list for certain now! I "bolded" the post on my list. LOL

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
around 3 - 4 feet. I just now cut mine for the summer growth, with our warm winter, it is growing already. Even if we get a cold spell it will be fine.
I bought it on line, from a well know plant dealer. I bought 3 plants, when it came it was one blade of grass with a tiny root. One blade! I babied it and now 2 years later have divided it a few times and even gave a little away. I just put some out in our front yard off the driveway. Get it growing and it does great, i never water it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OMG, I can't imagine getting only one blade! Yikes, what a cheap skate that dealer was. I will keep in mind that grasses multiply quickly and just get one nice plant or two of several varieties I like really well. I want one that is at least 5' tall and pretty (I like things that are different, and striking!) and this one will do well for the shorter areas where I want to grow some.
I have lots of grasses that I split every year and have a hard time giving them all away. I will probably have about 20 grasses that will be split into about the size of a 2 gallon pot. I have about 4 or 5 different varieties.
Todd, do you by any chance have any of this Karley Rose variety of grass? If you do and if you have plenty that you would be giving some away, I would be more than happy to buy a good start from you, pay for the shipping and so forth. I also like that one type of tall grass (I think it gets 5-8' tall maybe) that is green and has white or yellow stripes crosswise on the blades. Or, any other unusual type of grass for that matter! I don't have any, but only want a few of grasses that are really pretty ... and different.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Sorry we got side tracked. I have used the pressure treated wood, mainly where it is buried.

Manufacturers of pressure treated wood reached a voluntary agreement with EPA to end the manufacture of pressure treated wood for most consumer applications by December 31, 2003. EPA has indicated that some stocks of wood treated with CCA before this date might still be found on shelves until mid-2004. Pressure treated wood will still be available for certain commercial applications, such as wharves and bridges, where little human contact would occur. Learn more about the EPA agreement with pressure treated wood manufacturers

http://www.epa.gov/o...ativestocca.htm

Here is a good write up about pressure treated wood

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2004/fpl_2004_lebow002.pdf

Reaction score
Here is a good write up about pressure treated wood

http://www.fpl.fs.fe...04_lebow002.pdf

Tnx addy, interesting read. On one part it says:

The CCA alternatives may not offer
significant advantages over CCA in aquatic applications or other applications where copper release
might be a concern. From this perspective, the recent label changes on allowable uses of CCA are
logical. CCA will still be allowed for most aquatic uses, while the arsenic-free alternatives will be
used where human exposure is greatest.

I think i have worst case for application for pressure treated wood: over small pond with fishes. So, if i have to pick between bad and worst ill rather go with metal with minimal paintjob on wood boards.

Reaction score
lol sorry I forgot it was for over the pond i.e. bridge, I would not use pressure treated wood either. I don't know if you have it there, they make the artificial deck boards, you would not need to paint or treat.

http://www.gardenstr...mposite_decking

No , we dont have here, didnt even know such things existed. We have here woods with very good oak, even without protection it can last 10 years or so, so maybe ill go with metal/wood combination. Metal will be seen very little so it wont look like railway bridge.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great, bet it is going to look wonderful when you are done.

Ask a Question