Plant Baskets???

Reaction score
OK, I'm getting close to ordering plants and their baskets. I'm going to start slow and go with mostly oxygenators or Submerged Plants like Anacharis and the like. Can I go with the small, shallow baskets that measure 5 x 5, but are only 3 inches deep?

Or do I need something at least 5 inches deep?

Reaction score
Also, what do you guys use for media in your plant baskets?

I've read that pea gravel is OK to use. Does that sound right?

One more thing...............for Pond Lilies, I was told that you HAVE to plant them in SOIL, and NOT gravel or anything like that. Is this true?

Thanks, Jimbo

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
We take our water lilly root and stick it in pot using rocks to keep it from floating out. They always grow and come back every year. No gravel, dirt or anything but a few large rocks.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
We take our water lilly root and stick it in pot using rocks to keep it from floating out. They always grow and come back every year. No gravel, dirt or anything but a few large rocks.

Oh, that's good to know! I really didn't want to put any dirt in my planters anyway :banana:

Thanks again!!!

Reaction score
There is special pond planting material at Lowe's and Petsmart that I have used on two of my plants. It just looks like tiny rocks (smaller than pea gravel). This year though everyone seems to be out and I needed a lot. So I just decided to buy pea gravel. It looks almost the same and a lot cheaper. So far so good. I planted 6 of my new plants in it and they seem to be doing the same as the ones planted in the other stuff. So I think pea gravel is fine.

Ask a Question