Plant filtration and winter

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
do I drop in irises now? I was always concerned with starting bulbs in water as I'd imagine they would go bad over the winter
Just an FYI - the iris that you can put in the pond are called 'flag iris' (not the bearded iris). They are pretty indestructible and can be put in the pond anytime and can thrive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The iris I started with were established . Started with 12 rhizomes 4 years ago and have multiplied to the point I've lost count.
This the roots after removing the iris from the tub. May 14 2017
View attachment 105977
This two weeks later back in the 100 gal tub during pond Rebuild
View attachment 105978
That tub started with a dozen plants 4 yrs ago. Great filter

that's good to know, I only live about 50 miles from you so we have the same winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
that's good to know, I only live about 50 miles from you so we have the same winter
If you want I can give you some of the yellow flag iris. You're welcome to pick it up or I can mail some if you are willing to pay the shipping . Send me a pm if interested.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I forgot to mention that I have that yellow flag iris, too. I'm feeling a little better about the overall situation now. My neighbor who said he could take fish for his client has kind of gone radio silent on that issue for the last few weeks, which is why I can't really take it for granted that it will happen, until it does.

Last winter, my pond's first, was a very different situation than what I'm facing now. My pond was technically done, but not really, and there were few plants in it. That was kind of a scary winter, but with some mid-winter construction projects on it (thank you very warm winter!), I got through it. This winter now feels like my true first winter. But I wonder if I'll think something like the same next winter, too. Ponds are real learning opportunities. There is so much to figure out and keep straight, and the consequences are very real: if you screw up, you could end up killing your pets and causing a big problem in your own yard. But if it all goes well, you have the best part of your whole property to enjoy. It's a fun kind of education.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Very different question, but I figured I'd ask: has anyone every tried to put tulips, daffodils, or other bulbed flowers in their pond? My wife orders a ton of bulbs every year, and I thought about getting some for the pond, but never heard of it, other than irises, none of which (in this catalog) are marketed for ponds but all of which, to m knowledge, can grow in them. Which got me wondering about everything else in that catalog...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Tulips and daffodils will rot. Not all irises can be grown in water either - some prefer more boggy situations than full on pond planting.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Plants that grow from bulbs WILL NOT grow in an aquatic environment. Additionally, neither will all varieties (species) of Iris such as Bearded Iris. Most bulbous plants require well-draining soil in order to grow. If constantly wet they will rot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks Lisak1 and Meyer. No bulbs. I had hoped, but was not optimistic. I would think tulips would have been in every pond otherwise, if for no other reason than that they would be safe from marauding squirrels. But I had to ask.

Ask a Question