water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
Anerobic bacteria, Nasty little guys! They cause hydrogen sulfide build up which is deadly to plants and fish.

more of just some mud and plant pieces in the stream and little ponds. It is a clear water pump that feeds that part of the system, sucks the water mid level of the pond. The only pump we could find that would not break the bank and deal with our head pressure.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Addy, I was actually responding to Mr.Magoo's post. LOL yellow leaves can be directly related to haet in many species of aquatic plants, Right now I have many that have yellow edging, Taro, thalia, water lettuce, lily's, and this is in multiple water holding containers. The smaller the container the worse the problem seems to be,

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
addy1 said:
I just looked at my hyacinth, the stuff in the big pond, yellowish, the stuff in the small ponds fed by the same water, nice and green. The water in the small ponds is warmer, and the stream is not running 24/7 so probably a better collection of nutrients for the plants.

And the small ponds are almost like a settlement chamber, junk collects on the bottom of the ponds, to be cleaned out end of season.

All my floating plants seem to do better in the creek and in my waterfall area than they do in the big pond. They run 24/7 and the waterfall has a lot of water volume moving through it, the creek has a slow amount of water going through it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
fishin4cars said:
Addy, I was actually responding to Mr.Magoo's post. LOL yellow leaves can be directly related to haet in many species of aquatic plants, Right now I have many that have yellow edging, Taro, thalia, water lettuce, lily's, and this is in multiple water holding containers. The smaller the container the worse the problem seems to be,

laughing fishin! we all get confused...............

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Anerobic bacteria, Nasty little guys! They cause hydrogen sulfide build up which is deadly to plants and fish.

Does this anerobic bacteria occur in pots that have pea gravel or will it occur no matter what they are planted in?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It will in a way, if the pot is totally enclosed without water flow. My lilies are in shallow oil pans which allows some water exchange. The clay my lilies are in does get a heavy smell, but not the sulfur smell. The bog pea gravel has just a pond water smell, but it has great water flow.

Ask a Question