Plants for Florida stream

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I have taken advice from you all on pond plants and put in canna, papyrus, rush, taro and lilies but now I need advice on what I can plant bare root in the stream going from my waterfall to the pond. I LOVE forget me nots and had them in my stream in Virginia but read that they go dormant all winter even here...I am in Southwest Florida and the stream is under an oak so it gets dappled light.....Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have taken advice from you all on pond plants and put in canna, papyrus, rush, taro and lilies but now I need advice on what I can plant bare root in the stream going from my waterfall to the pond. I LOVE forget me nots and had them in my stream in Virginia but read that they go dormant all winter even here...I am in Southwest Florida and the stream is under an oak so it gets dappled light.....Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated:)
be careful with plants IN the stream as if they're aggressive at all, they might divert your water OVER the liner to either side and well, not good for your fishy babies, ya know? Some suggestions I'd put on the margin where their roots can go into the stream; creeping jenny, parrots feather, many sedums that crawl along, impatients do well in water but can get large, forgetmenots.

[edit] okay, re-read; didn't know forgetmenots need to go dormant...or do they? I know mine do but I'm in Mi...you can put almost any plant in water, just watch it's reaction/growth pace and thin as necessary while watching that the water isn't diverted, as I noted above.

stm2.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
creeping jenny, parrots feather and bacopa
Maybe better put bare roots between big rocks of the stream and that the propagation of the plants will go into stream...like BS said with flow and roots growth you can got prob about water level and liner...so watch out. For that imo lysimachia(aka creeping jenny) is best solution...it will grow up/will creep in the stream with big rocks like start...
I made an example of my idea:
568C5719-39A4-4E78-8574-B4D0F63683AC.jpeg

BTW i give a try on forget me not anyway...maybe can survive... actually my "normal" mentha is growing underwater like mentha aquatica....so ;)

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Here in Md forgetmenots stay green year round, don’t grow but are still green and don’t die back.
like BS said
Hahaha, @brokensword someone else calls you BS….. and he is even one of your minions….oooh the irony, or is it just the iron grip of logic

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here in Md forgetmenots stay green year round, don’t grow but are still green and don’t die back.

Hahaha, @brokensword someone else calls you BS….. and he is even one of your minions….oooh the irony, or is it just the iron grip of logic
ya know @Jhn , you may THINK you're immune from all the nonsensefun, but we all KNOW anyone with DBTs is already in the fun zone, so...not EVERYONE has an easy to type monkier, dear Sir; I've been tempted to acro myself, so totally understandable, no irony, no logic, you're making this into ah, um, now, what was that expression you used? Oh yeah; you're making this into something that looks like it fell out of an ugly tree and broke every branch on the way down!

SEE? Told you I'd immortalize you/that line! Course, never thought I'd use it on ME! heh heh Good to see ya around! Annnnnd, that AIN'T no BS!
smilie-sword-twirl-ninja2.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy

Like always i missed something...from the past...damn :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States

Parrot feather is a pest in Florida if it escapes from your pond into the natural habitat. I'm sure you'll take good care to prevent that. I have planted a couple plants in perforated pots, slightly submerged, to help contain roots of things, and that might address some of the potential waterfall clog and diversion concerns. As a blue flowered alternative to forget me nots, you might try "Blue Haze" (it's an evolvulus), though it may not like that much water and I don't know if it is fish-safe. Purple sweet potato vine does well. Both are inexpensive enough to try. Let me know how the forget me nots do. (Hi, from west of Tampa)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
be careful with plants IN the stream as if they're aggressive at all, they might divert your water OVER the liner to either side and well, not good for your fishy babies, ya know? Some suggestions I'd put on the margin where their roots can go into the stream; creeping jenny, parrots feather, many sedums that crawl along, impatients do well in water but can get large, forgetmenots.

[edit] okay, re-read; didn't know forgetmenots need to go dormant...or do they? I know mine do but I'm in Mi...you can put almost any plant in water, just watch it's reaction/growth pace and thin as necessary while watching that the water isn't diverted, as I noted above.

View attachment 145137
Thank you for the suggestions brokensword. I will also make sure to keep my eye out for diverting water:)
creeping jenny, parrots feather and bacopa
Maybe better put bare roots between big rocks of the stream and that the propagation of the plants will go into stream...like BS said with flow and roots growth you can got prob about water level and liner...so watch out. For that imo lysimachia(aka creeping jenny) is best solution...it will grow up/will creep in the stream with big rocks like start...
I made an example of my idea:View attachment 145147

BTW i give a try on forget me not anyway...maybe can survive... actually my "normal" mentha is growing underwater like mentha aquatica....so ;)
thank you Dimelius for taking the time to do this…I really appreciate it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States

I will try the forgetmenots then also, thanks John:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Parrot feather is a pest in Florida if it escapes from your pond into the natural habitat. I'm sure you'll take good care to prevent that. I have planted a couple plants in perforated pots, slightly submerged, to help contain roots of things, and that might address some of the potential waterfall clog and diversion concerns. As a blue flowered alternative to forget me nots, you might try "Blue Haze" (it's an evolvulus), though it may not like that much water and I don't know if it is fish-safe. Purple sweet potato vine does well. Both are inexpensive enough to try. Let me know how the forget me nots do. (Hi, from west of Tampa)
I will let you know about the forgetmenots Sarah should I try them …thanks for the other tips neighbor:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Italy
Thank you for the suggestions brokensword. I will also make sure to keep my eye out for diverting water:)

thank you Dimelius for taking the time to do this…I really appreciate it!
Sometimes is better that 1000 words. No problem, i like it.

Ask a Question