New to pond, please help me!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I built a pond for my brother pet duck, and I'm having problems with it. I know you aren't supposed to mix ducks and pond but that's already happened with just wondering if I can get some help. I just tested the water with a tester kit I bought it reads pH 9, nitrite 0, phosephate 0.25 and ammonia 0. I have some water lettuce and water lilies planted( although the lilies are struggling with duck eating them) and have some other water plant that floats(can't remember name). There is algae growing on rocks and liner and just wondering how I can get rid if that and lower pH without hurting the duck. Also is there any water animal, fish clams shrimp etc that will help clean it. I've heard algae cannot be eliminated but I can't even see a foot down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
How is the filtration in the pond? Any pumps, what GPH? Size of pond? I'm assuming It's string algae... can we get pictures please?

Reaction score
Country
United States
How is the filtration in the pond? Any pumps, what GPH? Size of pond? I'm assuming It's string algae... can we get pictures please?
Im not entirely sure on the size but I used a 1000 gallon max liner and didn't use it all. I have a 560gph pump and a diy filter with ac filters, rags and lava rock. And yes I realize it is hideous.

Attachments

• 15305801936207178815837025725907.jpg
    15305801936207178815837025725907.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 185
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome, a pump won't clean your water. Think you'll need to add a filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ducks poop in water, a lot! Need a stronger pump and maybe a bigger filter. Barley straw will breakdown over time and put off a natural anti algae, but you can jump start that with some stuff you buy made of barley or just a bottle of peroxide

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would look into building a bog you have a natural slope higher then the pond and a bog is quite easy to build a foot and a half deep trench by say 3 feet or even 4 foot wide and a couple pvc pipe and a foot plus of 3/8" pea stone in a years time you should have a balanced sparkling clear pond. Oh and a small stream draining back to the pond

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Like @GBBUDD says build a bog add plants. I filter only with a bog and never have green water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
There is algae growing on rocks and liner and just wondering how I can get rid if that and lower pH without hurting the duck

Welcome @CeliaSleigh !

These two things stuck out to me from your post.

First - algae on the rocks and liner is a good thing. You shouldn't be trying to get rid of that as it is helping the eco-system in your pond by consuming excess nutrients that are being added by your duck. Unless you can get more plants into this system (either in the pond or as a bog filter as others have suggested) the algae will get worse, not better as the duck continues to contribute his or her part.

Second - why are you testing the water? Do you have fish in this pond as well as the duck? Because a duck will swim in a mud puddle - they could care less about the pH of the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome @CeliaSleigh !

These two things stuck out to me from your post.

First - algae on the rocks and liner is a good thing. You shouldn't be trying to get rid of that as it is helping the eco-system in your pond by consuming excess nutrients that are being added by your duck. Unless you can get more plants into this system (either in the pond or as a bog filter as others have suggested) the algae will get worse, not better as the duck continues to contribute his or her part.

Second - why are you testing the water? Do you have fish in this pond as well as the duck? Because a duck will swim in a mud puddle - they could care less about the pH of the water.

I have a few mosquito fish, but just testing because curious and thought you wanted to keep in in a certain range regardless or fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
but just testing because curious and thought you wanted to keep in in a certain range regardless or fish.

Concerns about pH are really for fish, not ducks. If this is not a fish pond then I wouldn't concern myself with testing the water. Like I said - ducks will happily swim in just about anything.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Concerns about pH are really for fish, not ducks. If this is not a fish pond then I wouldn't concern myself with testing the water. Like I said - ducks will happily swim in just about anything.

The duck will be happy but I'm trying to keep the water from getting absolutely disgusting. So I figured it was a good idea to keep the pond at what i've read to be ideal conditions.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Like @GBBUDD says build a bog add plants. I filter only with a bog and never have green water.

Okay, from what it looks like it is like another smaller pond above the first one and is filled with plants. Could I use a kiddie pool and have the filter draining into that and the kiddie pool into the pond?

Ask a Question