Pls help with info

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
What tipe of illness killed only one of my big fish .

Attachments

• 20180112_190037.jpg
    20180112_190037.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 440
  • 20180112_190028.jpg
    20180112_190028.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 483

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
WOW that looks horrible .cold it be something in the water like a chemical .It looks poisoned

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
It is like bloody under the skin. Is it possible that she was killed by male fish pushing her around to push out some egs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have a feeling that your koi may have died from the CyHV3 virus more commonly know as the koi herpes virus if so and I am right you may see a mass die off of 80% of your fish with any survivors deemed carriers of this dread virus having euthanized then your pond would have to be striped down to its component parts and basically nuked then left for six months before re stocking

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/khv-cyhv3.27/

It is rife in South Africa infact my friend a good and dear South African friend of mine lost all his koi to the virus only two years ago.
I may well be wrong but it would be an idea for you to inform certain fisheries Authorities as we have to do here in the UK when an outbreak is suspected .
I'll cross my thumbs for you my friend in the hope that I am wrong in my diagnoses but I dont think I am
However please read this article on the South African koi website koi4u :-

http://www.koi4u.co.za/index.php?op...le&id=47:koi-herpes-virus&catid=38&Itemid=182

Dave 54

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
These photo's show the similarities between your koi and another koi suffering from CyHV3 / KHV
I've taken the liberty to copy your koi and placed them directly beneath the top koi for you to compare them

khv1.jpg
khv2.jpg
20180112_190037-jpg.107616
20180112_190028-jpg.107617

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Eek, it looks like some kind of fishy hemorrhagic fever! I’d be qt’g all the fish, bleaching anything I’ve touched the water with, and freaking out if I saw a fish like that. Best of luck, I hope it does just turn out to be she got beat up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Eek, it looks like some kind of fishy hemorrhagic fever! I’d be qt’g all the fish, bleaching anything I’ve touched the water with, and freaking out if I saw a fish like that. Best of luck, I hope it does just turn out to be she got beat up.
@JamieB the sad thing about the CyHV3/KHV virus is it has now been proven to be a sleeper as well , all it would take is a stressor to set it off and Eek you have it :eek: and there is really nothing you can do about it .
Bleach wouldn't cut it either sadly you would need a heavy duty koi disinfectant normally used on nets and other equipment .
This is what is meant by nuking the pond also the pipework, filters and any other equipment associated with the pond and koi this means stripping out the pipework and filters and you would have to nuke it not once but twice then leave the pond full but koiless for 6 months or more, it is one nasty virus :jawdrop:.
Open one up at autopsy and you will find everything including the brain has turned to mush:dead:

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I read that recently a prestigious koi facility had confirmed cases on koi imported from Japan :( @Dave 54 , while this is an awful virus, it is somewhat rare, is it not?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I read that recently a prestigious koi facility had confirmed cases on koi imported from Japan :( @Dave 54 , while this is an awful virus, it is somewhat rare, is it not?
That's the problem @Tula we don't actually know at the moment , its a blame game between Israel and Japan however there are many other countries now breeding koi in the far east that are also infected , I think I once posted a map of the areas of infection..
The is a goldfish herpes virus which is less lethal than that of the CyHV3/KHV , It may well have started off there but nobody really knows

Dave 54

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’d be surprised if it just came from one area and wasn’t more common, but living dormant in lots of fish. The humans have multiple forms, herpes zoster I believe, is the common chicken pox, which stays in our system attached dormant on nerve endings, which if our immune systems get depleted enough can flare up into shingles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I’d be surprised if it just came from one area and wasn’t more common, but living dormant in lots of fish. The humans have multiple forms, herpes zoster I believe, is the common chicken pox, which stays in our system attached dormant on nerve endings, which if our immune systems get depleted enough can flare up into shingles.
@JamieB a few years ago our clubs koi health officer who was also former chair of The health standards Commitee. Who cover all issues to do with koi health in the whole of the BKKS. Note (he was also trained by the BKKS at great expense ) !!!!.....
He was a man who hadn't bought any fish in 10 years and can trace direct to the dealership where the koi was bought from and who's owners where extremely savvy about the CyHV3 /Koi Herpes Virus as was our health officer .
The pond had an incident causing high ammonia levels , this was corrected but over the next few days his koi started dying in twos and three's at a worrying rate, he suspected CyHV3 , samples of dead koi and live one were then rushed to a Lab here in the UK and tests were undertaken ,the results showed all the koi including the live one had the CyHV3/KHV virus
So as you see they do indeed carry a sleeper which is brought about during times of great stress.
It has us all very worried to say the least.

Dave 54

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Is it in goldfish too or just koi? Seeing as they are often in the same pond, originated in the same areas, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited:

Ask a Question