Pls help me identify this wildcat in my backyard...

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I live in WA state. The closest big city to me is Seattle but the mountains are just outside my backyard.

Anyway, this morning I saw a wildcat strolling across my backyard. My wife had seen something like that a couple of years ago but she couldn't identify it and I got a better look this morning. Unfortunately, it walked away before I could get my camera.

He/she is 28-30 inches long and very sturdy looking. The coat is a tawny color with no markings on it. The closest color I can match on the internet is this cat:
http://www.nileabys.bigpondhosting.com/images/orpheus.jpg
The most distinct feature of this cat was the black tipped ears with some white on it. The ears stick up.
I know this is definitely not a cat because I'm a cat person. It's not just bigger than a cat, it's more meaty than a cat and it walked slowly with a purpose unlike cats. It's a full grown cat.

I tried looking it up on the internet.
It's not a bobcat because it doesn't have markings.
It's not a lynx because it doesn't have markings.
It's too small to be a cougar and a little too dark and the ears don't match.
What it looks like is a caracal cat, but that's supposed to be an African cat living in hot weather and I'm not how it could survive here in the cold rainy weather, especially when it snows.

So anyone care to guess what it is?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sounds neat, but no clue! Keep your camera next to your side, maybe put some food out lol

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
lol, the last thing I want is to have this cat hanging around my backyard. It's big enough to attack a kid.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The cat in your photo is an Abysinnian, but no idea what could be wild that looks like it, especially since you've seen the actual cat and have already eliminated the obvious. Interesting. Let us know what you find out [we're cat-people, too -- used to have Abys, but lost too many to breed-related diseases]. BTW, Abys do look like miniature cougars. I know you've eliminated cougars, but could it be a youngster? Does your cat have a tail?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Mmathis: My picture was only for the color! I'm pretty sure it is not a cougar based on the darker color and the ears.

Craig58: I looked at the jaguarundi too, but the ears are the wrong shape.

I'm pretty sure this cat was an adult. Another thing that struck me was the way it walked. It walked with confidence. It wasn't in a hurry but it covered the ground quickly.

I googled Abyssianian and the color looks about right but it's too big and too strong looking and the ears aren't black. The only physical characteristic that was unlike the Caracal was that I thought it's legs were too short for it.

Ya, I'm definitely gonna keep a camera, even my phone handy. Since we have seen it twice, it's not something I want to meet in the backyard.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It could be a bobcat i see them in a wide range of colors here

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
A bobcat would be the right shape, size and ears, everything except for the color. And my wife just told me that recently one evening she saw two of them cross the road and go into the bushes.

Ok, I just did a google search and found:
1) A guy who mauled by one in his backyard, but he killed it with his bare hands.
2) These pics:
http://fourseasonshu...at/bobcat22.jpg
http://cdn2.arkive.o...hasing-prey.jpg
http://www.factzoo.c...ying-bobcat.jpg

Also found this blurb: "They prefer living in woodland areas, but can adapt to living in any environment that is not completely urbanized or turned into farmland. They are often found wandering onto residential properties, where the houses border forests or wilderness areas." which describes our place like a T.

Ya, problem solved! Thanks, DrCase! Now I know that bobcats can be without markings, that's definitely it.

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
Lynx

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 260
Reaction score
The color of the Bobcats around here very a lot. and they do come into residential areas when there isnt enough natural food for them. They caught one not too long ago that was hanging around an old farm house, it was feeding off of the ferrel cats. I wonder if they don't breed with domestic cats maybe? that could cause a veriation in fur color and markings huh?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Can bobcats be imported? I'd like one in the neighborhood! Several of our neighbors let their cats out to run free all the time... A bobcat could live well around here for a while. Stupid cats.. :banghead3:

Craig

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That I'll agree with! :)

I actually like cats.

But my wife is allergic to them and when she was pregnant we had "issues" with the cats and our gardens because my wife is an avid gardner.

Craig

Ask a Question