Plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

Still doing the planning before starting on the giant hole in the ground. The attached diagram is the current plan; please feel free to offer feedback. It's all appreciated! The pond itself will have shelfs and more plants, but the goal is to have the bog filter do the lion's share of the work. I've read through the various threads and gotten a lot of great advice. Right now I'm trying to come up with a list of all the plumbing/fittings needed. I have a rudimentary understanding of working with flex pvc, or anything under pressure, although I have done some more traditional PVC projects before.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 1.35.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-01-01 at 1.35.16 PM.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Congratulations on starting your project. Nice diagram, adding the fish is a nice touch;) You will probably find that you will be ok with just the bog as your filtration. No problem though to plan for future expansion of filtration. The amount of filtration will also depend on how many fish and what type you are planning for. Its seems like people get in trouble with water quality when they have too many fish or do not plan for the fact that the fish will get large. Its not the bog's fault if you add too many fish.
I would definitely say you are on the right path with your diagram. Go with the 2" flex pvc. Intake bay is nice if you have the space for it. I don't have any experience with bottom drains so cannot help you there but I am sure others will pipe in with their thoughts.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You might find a couple 3way valves helpful. One to divide the intakes and one to split to your two paths. I have a similar setup and it has come in handy especially with a variable pump output

Reaction score
Country
United States
Congratulations on starting your project. Nice diagram, adding the fish is a nice touch;) You will probably find that you will be ok with just the bog as your filtration. No problem though to plan for future expansion of filtration. The amount of filtration will also depend on how many fish and what type you are planning for. Its seems like people get in trouble with water quality when they have too many fish or do not plan for the fact that the fish will get large. Its not the bog's fault if you add too many fish.
I would definitely say you are on the right path with your diagram. Go with the 2" flex pvc. Intake bay is nice if you have the space for it. I don't have any experience with bottom drains so cannot help you there but I am sure others will pipe in with their thoughts.
Ha! I do plan to add too many fish, but hopefully not until several years down the line. We’ll see how it does and then play the “just one more” game until we need an expansion.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You might find a couple 3way valves helpful. One to divide the intakes and one to split to your two paths. I have a similar setup and it has come in handy especially with a variable pump output
Any specific recommendations/link? There are a lot of plumbing fixtures out there and sometimes I think I know what is best until I see a new one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
first thing you'll want is ball valves or gate valves at every junction, so you can control how much water goes where. And i would not reduce to 1" stay with the 2 inch and reduce flow by the valves. the future filter may need a 2 inch line like a bakki shower etc or even a rdf.

UV FILTERS SHOULD HAVE THE CLEANEST WATER YOU CAN GIVE THEM . THAT Is where they do their best

if you put in a bottom drain you'll want to pitch the bottom like a bowl and drain at the lowest point . i'd also add the rhino drain this has a bladder and air line built into the drain. but do not count on this air supply in the winter if your in a cold climate you'll want the bottom of the ponds water as still as you can to keep it warmer down there

check valves are handy but usualy don't work real well without a lot of bak pressure but what does work well is vacuum breakers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
first thing you'll want is ball valves or gate valves at every junction, so you can control how much water goes where. And i would not reduce to 1" stay with the 2 inch and reduce flow by the valves. the future filter may need a 2 inch line like a bakki shower etc or even a rdf.

UV FILTERS SHOULD HAVE THE CLEANEST WATER YOU CAN GIVE THEM . THAT Is where they do their best

if you put in a bottom drain you'll want to pitch the bottom like a bowl and drain at the lowest point . i'd also add the rhino drain this has a bladder and air line built into the drain. but do not count on this air supply in the winter if your in a cold climate you'll want the bottom of the ponds water as still as you can to keep it warmer down there

check valves are handy but usualy don't work real well without a lot of bak pressure but what does work well is vacuum breakers.
Thank you for the guidance. How would you recommend clearing the water before the UV? DIY is preferred over purchasing a pressure filter.

I certainly understand the concept of keeping the bulb clear and exposing the most water possible… But also don’t know how I’d keep the pressure stable without over investing in filtration (such as with a pressure filter), since I already plan on have the bog. My goals are to have a system that can grow as we add more fish, but that can also start out relatively basic now.

Also, the UV I was looking at only goes to 1 1/2” ports at its largest, so I’d have to reduce down at some point, right?

Ask a Question