• Total voters

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It’s just my opinion but I wouldn’t put any effort into designing an area for pets or people to put their feet in the pond. Birds, critters, insects and even the fish you introduce will all carry with them parasites, bacteria, fungus and other organisms. Sure, we all get our hands (and feet) wet doing maintenance but i wouldn’t encourage having a soak in it either. I always wash well after doing any pond maintenance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have honestly never had any fear of my pond. Maybe that's just me being dumb, but we played in all kinds of mud holes, lakes, ponds, streams, etc growing up. Never had a problem other than a few leeches here and there. I know people will now share stories of someone who caught some horrible infection from their pond, but I've read those same things about picking up bacteria in garden soil, too. It happens, but it's so very rare that it's really not something I worry about. To each their own, though!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It’s just my opinion but I wouldn’t put any effort into designing an area for pets or people to put their feet in the pond. Birds, critters, insects and even the fish you introduce will all carry with them parasites, bacteria, fungus and other organisms. Sure, we all get our hands (and feet) wet doing maintenance but i wouldn’t encourage having a soak in it either. I always wash well after doing any pond maintenance.
he'll with that i jump in at any given time that's why I have gone crazy with filters. I do not enjoy getting out of a pool and smelling like chlorine. THE MORE YOU AVOID BACTERIA THE SICKER YOU WILL BE. look at drs and nurses they are around the sick day in day out. if my water wasn't below 60 degrees I'd jump in now and take a photo. Heck my son in law took a drink the other day. Now there I had to draw the line and tell him it wasn't a great idea but thats been about a month now and he's ok. The dumb as_ he said water was so clear how could there be any issue I assured him that ment little. but I do swim in it all the time. I just tell anyone who wants a dip to wash off perfumes.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I get neck deep in mine off and on all of the time over the summer. The water needs to be warmer than it is now. This bod does not like cold water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Soaking my feet. Getting a tadpole pedicure. Wallowing around when the weather is hot. These are the joys of pond ownership. If I was worried about "catching something nasty" from being in the pond... I'm not sure I'd want my fish in there either. :oops: Seriously - never once in 18 years of pond ownership have I ever considered having to go wash myself off after being in (or partially in) the pond. Still alive & here to tell the tale...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Soaking my feet. Getting a tadpole pedicure. Wallowing around when the weather is hot. These are the joys of pond ownership. If I was worried about "catching something nasty" from being in the pond... I'm not sure I'd want my fish in there either. :oops: Seriously - never once in 18 years of pond ownership have I ever considered having to go wash myself off after being in (or partially in) the pond. Still alive & here to tell the tale...
It is coming down to two forms of life in todays society the dreamers and the realist i am so afraid if they ever get there way and try to enforce the bs on me MUCH LIKE WE ARE LIVING NOW.... I have always had issues with authority. knowing damn well that the kid who had the kick me piece of paper on his back in elementary school is the one who is now making the rules. Much like the wonderful decisions from our leaders. Much like NO swimming in salt water ummmm like do you know anything about biology nothing like a virus can live in salt water DUMB A__ __. and as they are leading to the conclusion now that it is 90 % transmited by touch to the face so hands in a salt water bath nothing could be better. Drives me insane

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only time I stayed out of water was over in Zambia, we were told if the water is still moving, there is a nasty bug in the water that we would not want. Oh and hippos

A few times stay out of the salt water, when those tiny jelly fish are around or the man of war. Those suckers hurt.

Reaction score
Country
United States
ter.
[/QUOTE]
i want to start a new thread and no longer remember how . therefore , i did this reply hoping someone would see it and offer some guidance to me , a DUMB old man . my apologies for this approach but saw no alternative , thanks . . .peace

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
i want to start a new thread and no longer remember how . therefore , i did this reply hoping someone would see it and offer some guidance to me , a DUMB old man . my apologies for this approach but saw no alternative , thanks . . .peace
[/QUOTE]

Awww... no dummies here. Just friends helping fellow pond lovers.

If you're on the "forums" tab, in the right hand side there's an orange button that says "Post Thread".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@GBBUDD - our dogs BEG to go outside to drink from the pond, so your son in law is in good company. Haha! They prefer it to the fresh water in their bowl any day. And they've been doing it for years with no issues, so while I don't think I'll take a drink myself, I sure don't mind getting in!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD - our dogs BEG to go outside to drink from the pond, so your son in law is in good company. Haha! They prefer it to the fresh water in their bowl any day. And they've been doing it for years with no issues, so while I don't think I'll take a drink myself, I sure don't mind getting in!
Same with are dogs it drives the wife nuts.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When people make comments like that i think to my self how nutty they would go if they truely thought about the water in America, AND THE WORLD FOR THAT MATTER. Ignorance is bliss you see EVERY major city that gets its water from a river ALSO dumps there treated sewerage into the same river up stream from the next city who then takes there water and it makes the circle and gets dumped back in as treated sewerage. So looking at it that way i will drink my own pond water and feel a hole lot more comfortable about it then to drink sloppy 4ths down stream.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
When people make comments like that i think to my self how nutty they would go if they truely thought about the water in America, AND THE WORLD FOR THAT MATTER. Ignorance is bliss you see EVERY major city that gets its water from a river ALSO dumps there treated sewerage into the same river up stream from the next city who then takes there water and it makes the circle and gets dumped back in as treated sewerage. So looking at it that way i will drink my own pond water and feel a hole lot more comfortable about it then to drink sloppy 4ths down stream.

In and around Annapolis they have sewage lines crossing the creeks in 15’ of water and buried at the edge of the river bank below sea level. Half the old homes here have their septics leaking into the water shed, people constantly dumping chemicals on their well manicured lawns that slope down to the waters edge. At some point you have to think Mother Nature can only overcome so much of our stupidity, but for now she does.

Working in and around the tributaries of the Chesapeake Bay, have been in the water my whole life with open cuts (hazard of the job)and have yet to get sick from it or even the cuts getting infected for that matter. Then again I grew up living and working on the water and was outside in the muck, dirt and river all the time. It’s not in my personality to worry about getting sick from being in the river or dirt Walking around barefoot outside, etc.

Ask a Question