pollen or algae?

Reaction score
ok pond is relatively new but cycled, has several good fish in it seem to be thriving , a fountain and a barley straw bale , lillies and about 10 plants all doing well but all of a sudden the water has turned pea soupy in colour , now everything around has pollenated (sic) early and heavily bbq pit is covered in pollen dust cars too the water changed to the green colour about the same time , no algae is forming on the sides of liner or the couple of rocks (small) that i have in the water , my question is ... Is the green due to the pollen , or an algae bloom? , and what to do about it , will it cycle out , should i change water will it hurt the fish ?

Attachments

• pictures of my ponds 004.jpg
    pictures of my ponds 004.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 345

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sounds like an algae bloom, some use uv lights to get rid of it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It helps, I don't have algae issues, so have not used barley bales. Can't give you first hand experience with algae and barley

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Barley only works on hair algae, it won't do anything for green water.
John

Reaction score
Algae, not pollen.

i was told barley bales would prevent algae from blooming was i misinformed ?
No, you weren't misinformed, you were lied to. Any time a business can buy something for 2 cents and sell it for $20 there's bound to be a bit of "creative marketing". But they couldn't run the con without the help of hundreds of marks claiming it works.

The decomposing barley would be adding nutrients which would make the green water greener. The barley wouldn't cause the algae bloom, it would just make it a bit worst and possibly last longer.

There is no scientific proof showing barley kills string (hair) algae or green water algae. There are studies showing it has no effect on any algae under any conditions. There was a single study in the UK done about 20 years ago that showed barley might slow the growth of string algae in lab conditions. The study also did a small field study that was really bad, and even the field study came back as some people saying they thought maybe there was less growth.

Several universities in the US then did studies to try and duplicate the UK findings and every one of those studies could not find any effect on string algae.

After the US studies were published the author of the UK study published a paper with a theory on how barley could kill algae (all kinds). That theory was rotting barley broke down and produced peroxide which is true. Most rotting things produce peroxide and even living things produce peroxide. In one of his earlier studies he saw that peroxide would kill algae at high levels. So therefore he concluded barley must kill algae. No one, including the theory's author, has tested his theory because it's so incredibly dumb.

But of course you can find 100's of "reputable" retailers saying barley will kill your algae and quoting the UK study and the follow up theory as fact. They get away with it because they're ripping off a small number of people for a small amount of money. Plus they have the backing of 100's of customers saying it works. Most algae blooms clear in 6-8 weeks with or without barley. The difference is people who've added barley swear it was the barley that cleared the pond.

These same retailers will gladly sell dozens of other products which will clear your pond. It's called "reeling in the mark".

If you think you've been scammed contact the retailer and complain. Most retailers are smart enough to return your money. They have huge mark up on straw and so returning the money to maybe 0.001% who complain is no big deal. They want you happy and quiet.

Reaction score
aha ok so it is an algae bloom and the best thing is either to wait it out or get another u.v system , if i remove the u.v from my other pond and use it on the algae(fied) pond will the pond i remove it from suffer i.e will it incur an algae bloom ( out break) ? is it better to have a system on all the ponds or can one unit be passed around is really what i am asking?

Reaction score
will the pond i remove it from suffer i.e will it incur an algae bloom ( out break) ?
There's a good chance it will not have an algae bloom for a very long time, even years. There is a bacteria that kills green water algae and if it's established it will kill new algae as it reproduces.

Even in the new pond you can turn off the UV after a couple of weeks to see if green water returns. It may not. You can keep repeating that cycle until you have the killer bacteria. The algae produces a chemical that kills the bacteria, the UV knocks that down and allows the bacteria to get the upper hand.

Reaction score
Waterbug you have been a tremendous help , i appreciate your advice and respect your knowledge i shall immediately transfer my U.v over to the algae pond and start the cycle of giving the algae killing bacteria tomorrow , i will keep you informed via this thread , although i suppose you will already know the results thank you for your help and you have probably saved me a few dollars also ..

Reaction score
The result is not for sure. The amount of water through the UV is important, sometimes the glass on the bulb crusts over fast. If you don't see a big change in 3 or 4 days you know you have to tweak things. Always fun watching a pond clear.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used a liter per 1000 gallons with my arizona pond.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
peroxide ? umm this maybe a silly question but are we talking hydrogen peroxide , and will whatever the peroxide is harm the fish ?

It never harmed mine, I would put in 14 liters in my 14k gallon pond (arizona pond). Wiped out that string algae. (no koi in the pond)

Ask a Question