Pond Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pond is approx 2,000 gal, Solid Flo pump, Bio filter with UV, fish and lilies. Mostly shaded. Waterfall and stream. Just trying to learn the basics.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks! After reading the information which would be helpful to provide when posting questions I believe I am WAY out of my depth (pun?) on this forum. I think we're having an algae problem because my husband feeds the fish too much......Thought I might find something here to back my position, but just looking at the information I should provide has knocked me for a loop!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
but just looking at the information I should provide has knocked me for a loop!
Really? Pond size, how many fish and what kind, and what kind of filtration... that's about it.

Some algae is normal and necessary in a pond but excessive amounts of algae is 100% always the result of excess nutrients in the pond - too many fish, too little filtration, too much organic material in the pond, overfeeding the fish, etc.

Sounds like you think it's the overfeeding, but unless you have a tiny pond (which you don't at 2000 gallons) I would really question that as the culprit. Maybe excessive organic material in the form of rotting debris? Maybe not enough filtration - ie., plants in the pond?

Hang with us - we're fun and easy! haha!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Welcome red and yellow sign.gif

chickens clucking.gif
@ChickenMom

Ask a Question