Pond algae

Reaction score
I have a 6000 gallon pond 3ft deep, went through the winter crystal clear. I have about 7 pallets of blue stone slate around it with no algea. During the winter the water was crystal clear. Now coming into the spring I found a sudden tint of green to the water. I purchased a UV light and added about 50lbs of salt to the water. The next day the pond was crystal clear again, the salt worked over night where as i had the UV light for about a week and it did not clear up the water totally. I find those are the two best things to eliminate green water problems. Right now the pond has been totally clear for about a week now, If the bottom starts to get algea or get dirty i walk in there with a broom and stir the bottom up and let the bio falls take care of that.

Maybe that will help

Reaction score
Rob199, how big is your filter on a 6000 gallon pond? I need to make mine bigger this summer, should be another good project.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Salt is great for Koi but bad on plants which is why it worked on your algae. Before salting your ponds, look at your plants and make a decison as to whether they will survive the salt. Some plants take it better than others.

Reaction score
I cannot disagree with any of the previous posts. I think it comes down to personal choice. I like my ‘river jack’ on the bottom of the pond, although it is often hard to see. My first spring I drained my pond, power washed the rocks and it was beautiful, just like the first week after it was built. Unfortunately, it only lasted about a week and the algae bloom (probably from the total clean out) obscured my lovely rocks. After I finally got the algae under control, primarily through plants, I decided that the natural look was just fine. The rocks do make cleaning the mulm off the bottom a bit of a chore, but it is not like you need to do it constantly. Listen to the experiences of people in forums like this one and decide what you want to have (and what you will need to put up with to have what you want). Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have had my pond running for five years and I have a rock bottom that does just fine. You just have to make sure you dose with bacteria appropriately and I also add liquid barley.... Here is a link to a pic which shows the rock (somewhat)
photo.php

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you are sending us to face book and we cant access your photos without a password!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not everybody has a membership

Ask a Question