Pond Base

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! When we built our pond 3 years ago we were just winging it, with intermittent help by searching the posts here. Things have gone relatively well, but my water plants haven't really 'exploded' in the past 3 years, despite having plenty of room to grow. Reading through these posts, I wonder what I should have down on top of the liner ro make a more hospitable growing environment. The base of the pond has a rock layer, but only about 1 even layer, no real depth. The ledges have no rocks at all. Originally we were really struggling with algae of all kinds, and my husband was hesitant to add more crevices for sediment to accumulate. Since installing our barrel filter, we've seen a huge decrease in algae and sediment, and I wonder if now is the time to properly finish out the pond. What should I have on the bottom of the pond? Should I be planting my ledge plants in a layer of gravel versus keeping them caged in pots?

Attachments

• 16899413016665768392900862189990.jpg
    16899413016665768392900862189990.jpg
    418.8 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice pond!

I plant in pots, some with just river rocks in the pots, others with sand. Many folks use plain, clay kitty litter. Even though there may not be a big risk of it happening, I don't want the possibility of having plant roots damage the liner.

I don't want places where muck accumulates in the pond. With potted plants, I can move plants around if I want and take them out if they need to come inside for winter.

Just my opinion and what works for me.

Maybe your plants need fertilizing?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What plants do you have in there? How much sun does your pond get? Some plants are quick aggressive spreaders others are slow growing and stay in a clump.

Many things play into how well your plants do. If your not fertilizing and have those plants in pots it will restrict how well the grow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Pretty pond & rocks. My pond is just bare liner with one short shelf for a lily in cat litter. I add fertilizer every couple of weeks under the roots and it's going crazy. But I also have fish to fertilize it. I don't think you mentioned having any fish. Without any I think you'd have to fertilize more often.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Having my plants in pots hasn't seemed to slow them down. I wish it would! They just grow over the sides of the pots and into the water. With the ones that stay in the pond year round, I have trouble even finding the pots anymore.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm a big believer in naturalizing plants in the pond wherever possible - turn them loose and let them grow. (Except for lilies and lotuses - those need pots!)

Having direct contact between roots and water, to me, makes them better at removing nutrients from the pond. Plants that are planted directly in the pond I have found actually COLLECT dirt from the water and form their own root ball. You will get dirt in your pond - it's outside after all - but having plants growing directly in the water gives the dirt somewhere to go. Plus I don't have to fuss with pots tipping over or needing to be moved from place to place.

I just remove most of the dirt from the root ball - don't worry about getting it all, just shake it basically - and then plant it according to the plants preferences. I have a lizard tail that's about 16 inches under water - does great. I have other types that are just tucked between rocks in the edges so the roots just touch water. You can create "pots" by gathering a circle of rocks (baseball size basically) and put a few handfuls of gravel in the center and then anchor the plant in the middle with more gravel or rocks. Once it starts to grow, it will anchor itself. Experiment with different plants and placements - you'll get used to water gardening. I also used a few of those fabric planters for some plants - plants will eventually burst right through the fabric and settle in nicely.

Just be aware that plants that you turn loose in your pond do need to be watched and tended. Some are perfectly happy to take over your pond completely if you let them. I have zero worries about pond plant roots piercing an EPDM liner - roots prefer to take the easiest path possible and since they already have all the water they need, why would they go through the liner? In all my years of ponding and reading about ponds I have yet to see anyone say it actually happened. The roots are more likely to go OVER the edge of the liner into the surrounding soil - that can create an area where water can escape the pond, so you do want to watch for that.

Just another ponders opinions!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My experience is that plants that I do let just free roam in the pond. The problem comes in where the roots grow around wrinkles and boulders making it a battle and with say yellow iris a challenging battle to remove these plants. Roots should be called a horse because if you don't try to remove the plants just so it seems to dig in even deeper.. OK so I know it's me that is loosing at that point as your tired trying to rip them out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The other thing I'll add is to think about adding a bog.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My experience is that plants that I do let just free roam in the pond. The problem comes in where the roots grow around wrinkles and boulders making it a battle and with say yellow iris a challenging battle to remove these plants. Roots should be called a horse because if you don't try to remove the plants just so it seems to dig in even deeper.. OK so I know it's me that is loosing at that point as your tired trying to rip them out.
I know what you mean about adding the Iris to in between rocks around the pond edge in the water! Oh boy they grew so well in my pond that the big massive root system pushed big rocks off the sides. I had to get those plants all out and boy was that a chore! Never will I put those kinds of plants that can take over like that in-between my rocks! Oh boy now that we are talking about this......................I have Dwarf Cattails stuck in one area between my rocks! They have been in there for a lotta years! I wonder if that could be why my pond water is dropping? I keep adding water every few days, more than usual! I think I will just keep adding water as I don't feel like trying to get those suckers outta there! Not in my mood chores for now anyways :happy:

Ask a Question