pond being taken over by algae

Reaction score
Hi,

We have a large pond (about 5000 gallons) in our back-garden. The pond is exposed to direct sunlight (when its out!) for about 8 hours a day. We used to have a serious green water problem and had to start over and install a filter. This solved the problem of the water looking like a pea soup but this year we have a had an complete infestation of a different type of algae. We at first thought it was the all to common blanket weed so treated that with a blanket weed treatment which had worked in previous year but that failed to do anything and stuff was complacently saturating the pond, covering plants and oxygenates in greed clumps and longs strands and clinging to the sides of the liner. It will also float to the surface and float around in clumps.We then tried to vac the whole pond and do a partial water change to try and clear it out. We took away as much as we could so we could see the liner and plants again but literally the stuff was back the next morning. I have attach a few picture of what it looks like now (the day after giving the pond a vac). I would very much appreciate any advice on what could be the possible cause of this, what type of algae it looks like it could be, and what a possible solution is. If its anything to go by we have never had very many leaves from our waterlilies despite and feeding them and re-potting them and trying placing them at different depths in the pond. We also have tried different species of lilies but all have failed to flourish. Any help with either of those two problems would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_1984.JPG
    IMG_1984.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1989.JPG
    IMG_1989.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_1990.JPG
    IMG_1990.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 267
Reaction score
Welcome to the group:)

We have a similar looking algae in our upper pond, which is shallow and only gets sun part of the day, but not this bad. In our case, it is only happening where we had NO current (so our lily stems have it). Added more flow (not enough) and it greatly improved.

Reaction score
What type of filter do you have? I built my pond last year which soon become green with algae. I read about the "Skippy" biological filter and built one. My water cleared up as advertised and has remained clear since.

Ask a Question