addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In the stock tank I tied the pump up in gentle loop so it did not rest on the bottom keeps it away from any debris. So far they are both running good. Ponds still frozen over temp a warm 40 (pond) lost one degree in this cold week.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I'm thinking next year I might install a lower wattage pump with a big filter so I can take advantage of the heat in the earth and reduce my ice thickness and also reduce the total length of time I have ice cover.
I'm still sold on the breathers. I may even run them year round until I finally build a waterfall.
I think they provide great aeration for a low electricity cost.
That would be a good idea. I have discovered that the more water moving, the less ice I get. Also during winter, make sure to top up pond water level to meet the ice If the water level falls below the ice, then raise the water to level of ice. This way the running water will desolve the ice much quicker.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I am getting tired of long winters. Using a heater and pumps allows me to enjoy the fish and open water even if it is winter. Winter can be depressing enough never mind looking at a frozen pond in ApriL, May and even June, wondering if the ice will ever melt. Lots of my pond friends over the years got sick of having a pond cause of the long cold winters, and simply got rid of their ponds. I like to see my fish and open water, even during exteme cold, cause I know spring will come much much sooner, even if it means paying money to heat pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
The replacement still hasn't shipped and we're getting another cold snap. Fortunately my air stones are plugging long by the pond deicer.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So far I am really glad that this winter has been really mild .It has helped with the energy bills around here .Hoping though that spring does arrive early

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just use a watt tester once you buy one you will be amazed at how much you use it .They are not expensive either

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am lazy so for 12.99 I bought it and it tests watts and amps and I think I have plugged everything into it one time or the other .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
lol id be scared to turn anything on if i knew how much energy it used i still keep looking at the pond thinking do i need the skimmer running do i need the air compressor running what about both pumps and what about the big uv lol and then there is the garden security lighting not including the new not fitted pond lights told you we were tight

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is why when i redid the pond I really looked at how much energy the pumps used .I went with laguna pumps the one that is 2900 gph says it uses up to 100 watts but it hit it's sweet spot of energy use at 85 watts and the 2400 gph one hit it's sweet spot at 38 watts and it says it uses up to 55 watts .So right now I am using less energy than i used with one old pump I had .Outside my lights are LED I figured it was worth the little extra money .Last months electric bill with taxes was 133 dollars.I am trying to make wise choices in everything I buy that uses electric

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Our electricity is relatively cheap here ($0.10/kilowatt hour) but the electric companies are starting to charge more and more for "other" fees. "Other" fees are now more than 50% of our electric bill. We're starting to put in more infrastructure so we can accommodate our growing population plus sell electricity to the USA.
When it's all said and done, we're paying about $0.21/kilowatt hour here (probably Colleen too)
I have heard it's a lot more expensive in the southern states. I feel bad for you folks in the US with air conditioning.

Ask a Question