Pond Breather

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We've had a warm stretch of weather here and that gave me a chance to check out how the breathers were working.
One breather was pumping very little water, so I brought it up out of the water, opened the cage and saw that the intake was clogged with baby minnows and a bit of algae.
Sad about the minnows, but the problem had to be fixed before the breather got iced in again and would be unserviceable until spring.
I cut the zip ties, opened the cage and tried to open the pump screen. Apparently the screen is not removable, so the best I could do is clear the screen with a screwdriver and shake it out as much as I could in the pond water. I also used a long piece of grass to clear out the water hose of some gunk that had built up.
I then reattached the cage, used another zip tie to close the cage, put the breather back in the water and it was working as good as new again.

IMG_7420.jpg

IMG_7405.jpg

IMG_7412.jpg

IMG_7404.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Got mine several weeks ago and it's still in the box. Is it possible that I may not see ice this year?? yippeeee!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thank you for motivating me @MitchM . Temps were up to 60 today, so I made myself check my pond breather. Holy cow. The cage was totally covered with green slimy algae and when I opened it up, the pump was also totally covered. I am not sure how any water was getting through any of the openings.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think I will stick with a pond heater and forego a disaster if something like that can fail and kill my fish .I wonder if you could put it inside one of those gerbil balls to help it out

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thank you for motivating me @MitchM . Temps were up to 60 today, so I made myself check my pond breather. Holy cow. The cage was totally covered with green slimy algae and when I opened it up, the pump was also totally covered. I am not sure how any water was getting through any of the openings.

If I remember correctly cas, your pond is 2-1/2 feet deep.
Perhaps the pump cage is sitting on the bottom.
Maybe next year you could modify the breather to shorten the distance the cage hangs down.

Sissy, there's been no disaster.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Perhaps the pump cage is sitting on the bottom.
Not on the bottom, but the cage does rest on the side of the pond, I don't know why it wont stay in the middle of the pond. It is going to be another nice day today, maybe I can play with the pump cord to some how get the pump away from the sides.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Not on the bottom, but the cage does rest on the side of the pond, I don't know why it wont stay in the middle of the pond. It is going to be another nice day today, maybe I can play with the pump cord to some how get the pump away from the sides.
I think that the weight of the electrical cord will tend to pull the breather towards where the cord enters the water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have my breather tied to a piece of pvc that comes to the edge of the pond. That keeps it where I want it to stay, ow it would hit the pond wall and suck up stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have mine attached to a big piece of PVC resting across my pond, so it's in the deepest area. I'm going to check my pump cage today though, as we've had unseasonably warm weather recently.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is this piece supposed to be in the cage with the pump?
Is there any danger of the breather coming in contact with the liner?
20170314_174115.jpg

Ask a Question